Two shotgun coyotes this morning 9/11/2011.

derbyacresbob

We had a pretty good lightning and rain storm last night and it was only supposed to 90 degrees today so I decided to go make a few early calling stands this morning.

On the first stand I was ready to go but had to wait about 10 minutes for it to get light enough to see the end of my shotgun barrel.

I was leaning into a bush and had my shotgun in my hands and my 22-250 sitting next to me. My CS-24 was about 20 yards away. I played a bunch of different sounds for 20 minutes and was about to give up when I heard a familiar sound right behind me and it was close.

It was the sound of a 45 mph coyote flipping a U turn! I jumped up and looked behind me and the coyote was right at 30 yards away angling to my right. I shot him with my 11-87 using 3" Rem HD BBs and he went right down. Then I saw two more coyotes a little farther to the right go over a little rise and out of sight about 70 yards away.

I hit my #1 preset which is "Coyote Pup Screams" and put another shell in my 11-87. About 15 seconds later I see something real low to the ground come over the rise heading my way. It was hauling a$$ but I thought it may be a rabbit because it was pretty short looking.

Then I realized it was a coyote with it's ears layed back and it was at full speed heading straight for my CS-24 which was right behind me. When the coyote got to about 20 yards away from me, I decided that was close enough.

IMG_5859.jpg

I didn't move my CS-24 or my SP-55 Speaker, the way they are in the above picture is how they were set up during the stand.

IMG_5873.jpg

In this picture you can see the little rise that the second coyote came back over to the "Coyote Pup Screams". The female coyote ran back towards the CS-24 in less than 30 seconds after her male buddy got shot.

On the 3rd stand I had a coyote stop at about 150 yards and I missed it with my 22-250.
cursing.gif
I blanked on the 4th stand and headed for home.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, im not sure how to tell you this, but you are going to have a hard time finding a shotgun/shell combo that will reach out to 1400 yards!

Nice job Bob, Very rewarding on your own after a early start to the day. running shots with ther 12 g at close quarters get the heart pumping.
2 ON THE FIRST STAND MAKE IT HARD TOP.

great story and pics. but ya might wanna trade that 11-87 off if your having to put another shell in it. it's suppose to do that on it's own lol!

Duffman121 said:
Bob, where are the sweet close up pics of these coyotes before they bite the dust??
scared.gif
Lol, only kidding. Great job! [/quote

Duffman, hopefully I will get some live coyote pictures later in the season when it cools down some.

Back