Fox Hunting

carlw

I wanted to know if anyone calls red or grey fox in on a consistant basis during the day.I have had no luck during the day but have called them in during the night.

carlw-
I have spent years calling reds & greys with much daytime success, mostly with hand calls. Let me offer a few thoughts: 1st) predators hunt primarily during first hour, last hour, and under the cover of darkness, so those are your best times. During the coldest winter months though, a fox will often hunt during the days peak temps, because critters want to expend the least amount of energy possible to survive, and the cold nights cost them valuable body heat. Also grey fox males & females are denning animals so that puts them underground for much of a day. This trait is why they so quickly share mange. Female reds will den up year round where the male does not. He will climb into a treefall, or brush pile even during the harshest weather, only sharing the den for a few weeks while helping with the pups. 2nd) Reds and greys have different personalities. Reds are very cautious, 95+% of the time using the wind to their advantage, and they favor much lower volumes, and usually food (rabbit, pheasant, lip squeeks, etc.) sounds. Greys like volume and tend not to nearly as wind wise. Grey fox pups distress sounds at a healthy volume will often cause a grey fox to run you over and stick around for a second poke. 3rd) Reds like the open fields and hedge rows, greys favor the woodlots and will scoot up a tree for a better vantage point. Get close to their cover and guard the corners- fox will usually enter a field at a corner. Set up with the wind in your favor and give them the cover of a field corner. Start with low volume red fox sounds, and evolve toward grey fox techniques, because greys will respond to red fox sounds but a red will not come to louder, grey fox sounds. Fox are funny critters, often showing no interest for a call even though they are in sight of very close. Some days they'll ignore you and the next day run you down! Whew! There's a pile of fox info and I hope it helps a little. I hope we hear from a few others here.

Thanks Kendog that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for,I have called a few fox in but they were all grey's.I am still new to this and every bit of info helps.

Thanks Kendog that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for,I have called a few fox in but they were all grey's.I am still new to this and every bit of info helps.

Ken dog--

That's the most informativie fox post I think I have ever seen!
I haven't called all that many but I do see some of the actions mirrored in your post.

Would you have any advice or info for someone trying to locate dens for working Jack Russels in the Texas hill country. Your info regarding mange (flea association) pretty much rules out hot weather but as it cools we will get out more.
Our terrain is mixed--cedars and rock soil- to cedars, oaks, and boulder rock. Its all pretty varied from county to county.
I appreciate your posts.

Thanks for your time,
Ken

Cedarchopper-
Sorry but I don't know a thing about JRT dogs and the such.

An additional technique comes to mind for fox hunting in thicker cover. Fox sometimes hang back from a call for a long period of time but curiosity can get the best of them. When calling with a partner, After sitting back to back and finising a sequence, one guy gets up and leaves. The other sits there for 10 more minutes watching. Fox think the danger is gone and zip in to sniff the danger-zone, right into an awaiting shooter. Sounds goofy but has worked many times on call-wise fox.
-Let me know if I can offer anymore info.

Love hearing from fellow fox chasers like me. Good info Kendog! I just wanted to add that God cursed the fox with a very small stomach for its size, much smaller than other canines. Therefore, it has to eat often during cold snaps to survive. That is why during those cold days you may see them out anytime, I have. The sounds used advice is right on with my experiences. I tend to do best with small bird/woodpecker distress sounds overall. Young rabbit & pup sounds work well at the right times also. If you call in a gray & shoot him, set tight! Greys tend to hunt in pairs & the other mate will come right on in many times. Not sure if they just wonder where thier partner went or think maybe the partner is hogging all the spoils
biggrin.gif
. Season opens here in a few months & I've had good sucess early on at daylight & dusk, not during day. But as winters grip tightens, be ready anytime. I've used a 22mag, 223, & 22-250, but will use my new 221 fireball this year, can't wait. If you think thee is a possibility of calling in a yote in your area, leave the rimfires at home.

Good foxing,
HS

[This message has been edited by HogSniper (edited 08-17-2001).]

I called in two foxes last weekend, one in the late morning and the other in early evening. They were cascade foxes, basically a red fox, but they have changed to black for some reason. now they're always solid black except for the light colored tail tip.

I think it's ok to post the address to my website. It's not commercial so if not?????

Anyway, most of what I know about fox hunting is located at www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/5460

And, yes, I'm successful at calling them in during the day time.

Later
Randy

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/5460
Hunting the Red Fox

Nice site, Randy. Really good photos!

A word about hot links. It is OK to post a link to your web site. Even if it IS commercial. For example, mine is for my guide service for predator hunters. That is OK, and could even be considered a service for the members of this board.

You can post a link to a section of another hunt-talk board, IN ORDER TO PROVIDE INFORMATION TO A QUESTION. An example is the links that have been posted on adjusting triggers, which are in the sniper site, for one. No problem. Providing/sharing information is what we want to do.

The problem comes when a link is posted for the sole purpose of getting members to go to another board. That is spamming, and is a violation of rule #5. Even there, if there is a good reason to provide members with a link to another board, Will may grant permission to post it. But you better ask first. An e-mail to Will would be the appropriate way to handle it.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Carlw
You sound like your in the same boat as me. I'm new to this fox/coyote hunting thing calling a few last year, but really looking to devote more time this year.
Kendog
thanks for the tips you seem to have your stuff together.

Fastdam,
Could you please elaborate more on the foxes color change? You said they were red, now black, never heard of a black fox, now I want to learn more. Is this a seasonal change? Or did they just turn black and stay that way?

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy-I am On the Way to the Arizona Predator Hunt!!!!!!

Back