My Hunt with Tony Tebbe

ARCOREY

As some of you might remember, Tony Tebbe gave away a hunt with him at his Predator University . I was the lucky winner of the hunt and couldn't wait to get out there to Lovington New Mexico to see what coyote hunting out west was all about and get me an education. I ended up gaining some new friends and some more family as well. The Tebbe's are a great family and down to earth folks. My wife Candy and I met Tony and his wife Dawn Saturday night when we arrived in town and got acquainted. We brought some much needed rain with us too as well as a cold front. After the rains ended Sunday morning, we went to a rock quarry nearby and checked the zero on my AR. Turns out that was a good move as my AR was shooting about 3" low and left at 75yds. We got it tuned back and packed up and took a ride in the hunting rig with the wives and Gunner along. We rode around a few ranches and looked at antelope and checked out the countryside.
IMG_0920.JPG

Being eastern hillbillies, we were amazed at how flat and dry things were out in New Mexico. It felt like we were on another planet. Monday morning we met at the hotel for a 5 am breakfast and headed off to some public land oil fields. We setup next to an oil pump with the sun rising quickly at our backs and a slight breeze over our shoulder.
PICT0006.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

Less than 5 minutes into the first calling sequence a young coyote comes into to our downwind and gives me a look at about 60yds before running over a dune.
coreyscreen1.jpg

Tony stops him at 75yds with a woof and I hit him a little high with the AR on a snap shot. Gunner and Annie make quick work of the coyote and finish it off. We make another stand and see a couple mule deer and oil trucks. We head to another area and setup next to a noisy oil rig. We get through the rabbit distress sequence and get into some pup distresses and a coyote shows up about 300yds out and comes in on a gas line. He tries to get our downwind and hesitates at about 200yds. I popped him with the AR and dropped him in his tracks. These would be my only daytime opportunities as the weather heated up about 9 am.
PICT0018.JPG

I got to follow Tony and Chilson around on some nuisance trapping sets and shoot a few prairie dogs for bait. I learned a lot in a little bit of time. Travis had lots of good tips to offer and had me do one of their sets.
coreyscreen5.jpg

We picked up Dixie and Gunner and headed out to do an evening set. No takers on that one. We went into a nice ranch with a great road system and called a few stands and had one of this years pups hang up in the mesquite about 130yds out and head on. I hit him in the chest and downed him. He was a tiny coyote. The bright moon was causing us problems and the coyotes that did come in were timid and light shy. We called another pup on the next stand and he stopped in front of us about 75yds out. I grazed his back and missed the follow up. Gunner ran him down and gave Dixie a chance to catch up and get the coyote bayed up in a mesquite bush. They worked the coyote round and round before giving Tony a chance to dispatch him with a stick. Without the dogs, this would've been a lost coyote that would've died from infection in the brush as the shot opened him up enough to let the flys at him but not enough to cripple him.
coreyscreen12.jpg

Calling was tough until the moon set around 2 am. We had 5 coyotes come in on the first set after the moon dropped. I shot one walking at about 275yds and heard the smack and saw the coyote go down. We heard Gunner and Dixie get on him and finish him off. We tried to find him after hoping for a second coyote, but lost track of him in the mesquite flat. We made a few more blank stands and hit another good spot in the dunes. We called 4 into light range, but they were very timid. One of them finally held up at about 250yds and I poked him with the AR. Shortly after that another hung up about 300yds out, but I pulled the shot and wizzed one by his ear. This would bring our total to 15 called, 7 shot at, 6 hit, and 5 recovered. Not too bad for a hillbilly that rarely shoots more than 100yds at night here in the east. Tony and Travis went all out to teach me and show me a good time.
PICT0021.JPG

We shot over a prairie dog town the next day after we recovered from our first long day. We made a nice dinner and sat down with the family and spoiled the kids and dogs a little. A picture of the rig in the prairie dog town.
PICT0053.JPG

A wore out decoy dog after a full day of hunting.
PICT0051.JPG

A huge thanks to the Tebbe family for their hospitality, to Tony for going the extra mile, and to Travis for showing the rope on trapping. I'll see if I can't do a better job of shooting those butt sniffers for you next time Chilson
tt2.gif

Nominated for hunt of the month

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool story and writeup! We tried to outdo you guys that morning, but it wasn't to be. The total shutdown around 8:30-9:00 was disappointing, huh?

It looks like y'all had a great time. Maybe you'll make it back out this way for the PM hunt.

Yea, sombody flipped the switch on all of us that morning. Luckily they turned it back on around 2 am. I'd love to come out for a PM hunt one of these days, but I need to pay off this one first. Those airlines think a lot of their tickets
rolleyes.gif

Outstanding write-up man. Sounds like you had an absolute blast! You sure can't say enough about Tony, he's a helluva nice guy. I've been out there twice, not hunting, he's training Duke for me, and gotta say I'd love to get out there and hunt. Glad you had a good time.
smile.gif

Energy? Lots of Monster energy drinks!
smile.gif
We did a 24hr shift from 5am to 5am.

It was awesome having you down Corey. I'll write up more later, as I have to jump in the shower and go to our granddaughter's 1st birthday party. But, I wanted to show you this....

Remember that big buck in the picture, with all the does? Here is how our hunt with this morning...

timgoat1.jpg

I'll write up more later.

Thanks...Tony

Oh man, what a Dog!
wink.gif

I thought that was a good looking buck running with them does!
Congrats! but now we have to wait for the "Right-up"!

Hey Tony,

That looks like a Flatland Forge crosspein clipping hammer in the pic of y'all making a dirthole set. Tell me about using a crosspein for making sets in NM?!?

Thanks!

I tell you guys, if you can scratch the coin, he's worth every penny he asks for. This man goes all out. My hunt was free and he busted you know whats for me. Just imagine how it was for a paid client. Not saying Tony held back on me, cause I had the trip of a lifetime. The dogs played hard to get and conditions were hard. Tony went above and beyond my expectations and my deal was free. This just goes to show the character of Tony Tebbe. The man has a huge heart. His biggest downfall may be the lack of hours in the day since he never meets a stranger.

HOM, I'm not worthy. If somebody deserves it out of this hunt, it is Tony. God bless him and his kindness.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeEnergy? Lots of Monster energy drinks!
smile.gif
We did a 24hr shift from 5am to 5am.

It was awesome having you down Corey. I'll write up more later, as I have to jump in the shower and go to our granddaughter's 1st birthday party. But, I wanted to show you this....

Remember that big buck in the picture, with all the does? Here is how our hunt with this morning...

timgoat1.jpg

I'll write up more later.

Thanks...Tony
Had no doubt you guys would bring down the horns. We saw several nice bucks, but figured you would be all over the big boy in that herd. Nice take and congrats on a good buck.

Corey, you and Candy are welcome back here anytime. Yall are family to us now. I gave that hunt away for my birthday. You may have won the hunt, but I'm the real winner in the deal. Building solid friendships with like minded people is huge to me and the biggest reason I started Pred-U.

I've hunted with alot of guys (and gals) over the past 29 years. Once in a while, you have the opportunity to hunt with someone that truly knows how to use a gun. Corey is one of those hunters. His shooting skills are highly impressive to say the least. The coyotes weren't truly turned on and never offered him any 'chip shots'. I watched him connect on coyotes, that I'll admit that I would have missed. It didn't take long to figure out that when he pulled the trigger, there was always a positive "Whap!".

I'll write up a different post about today's antelope hunt, when I get a chance. I did shoot a coyote on the way to the pasture, so at least I got to share in the bloodshed.
smile.gif

Those coyotes across the road from my house have been firing off every night, since you left. Tonight there had to be 25+ coyotes in 5 different packs in that area. Bunch of pups in each one. Even had a pup challenge howling my dogs for 20 minutes straight tonight. It had the highest and squeakiest voice I've heard. Must have had the cahounas the size of grape seeds.
smile.gif
Tried to get some recordings, but too many dogs barking to ruin it. Dang buttsniffers!
lol.gif

Good luck on that new sheep property and keep me posted on how it turns out. Don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call me anytime.

Quote:Hey Tony,

That looks like a Flatland Forge crosspein clipping hammer in the pic of y'all making a dirthole set. Tell me about using a crosspein for making sets in NM?!?

Thanks!

You'll have to ask member TravisC about it. It's his personal one. I believe he forged it, as he used to be a horseshoer.

Thanks...

Tony

Great stuff!!! Nothing like traveling to new places, meeting new friends and enjoying good hunts together.

I'm looking forward to shaking Tony's hand next month and of getting a good education from an expert. Only problem is Corey has now put the pressure on me with his shooting skills. Not sure I can match it.

I can attest to Corey's shooting ability first hand. I've witnessed him take 500 yard groundhogs. As well, he and that AR are as one.

Great job Tony and Corey.

David and Tony, you guys are making me
blush.gif
. I had a great time. David, you're going to love it out there. I went with the mindset that I was going to kill a minimum of one coyote and everything above that was a bonus. It took about 5 minutes to make my goal and we had lots of fun once the monkey was off my back. I basically had nothing to lose after the first stand. It's only going to get better as things cool off out there. You guys that are booked with Tony are in for a real treat. All I can tell you guys is you'd better get the coyotes while you can, once little Emily gets an AR running, the population out there is doomed, lets just hope she shoots like her momma
lol.gif

Back