Started off the season with my 7 year old

okoyote

It feels like a slow start this year. The last couple years I've already got a few coyotes down and checked out many of the spots I like to frequent. I also have a new AR that I've been getting to know. Hoping to get its first blood, I've had a couple coyotes get away from me with bad shooting and bad timing. So, I was pretty anxious to get that first coyote down for the season.

My oldest daughter, Bryn, and I were going to have the evening to ourselves as Mom and the sisters were out of town for an appointment. I decided early in the day that when I picked her up from school I would see if she wanted to try to call a coyote. She excitedly said yes and I had already packed a picnic meal in anticipation for the answer. She was introduced to the varmint hunting world this summer with a prairie dog shooting trip west with Misterfuzzer and his boys. Bryn had a great time and I knew she would be excited to go.

On the way she was asking all kinds of questions. "Can I shoot?". "Yep, when you are 10.". "Can we have ice cream on the way home?". "Let's see how long we hunt.". I had an older camo coat she could wear over her clothes. A big part of buying the suppressor was so that I could take my kids hunting and not worry about damaging their ears.

DSC_0008.jpg

Being tired from school and a busy week there was a little whining about the heat and a few stickers in the shoes. Being 7 she did very well. Some of the walks were a quarter mile into pasture. Learning to use the foxpro remote to "help" me was a good distraction and she picked it up quickly.

DSC_0035-1.jpg

We did a couple sets without any luck and we went back to the truck to get some gatorade. "Coyote hunting isn't as fun as I thought." I explained it is a lot like fishing and they don't always bite. She nodded in agreement and we went out for the last set before dark.

DSC_0030.jpg

She likes to take pictures too and wanted to take a picture of me walking because I had taken hers.

We sat down for the last set and had a beautiful view of the pastures and trees. I reminded her to watch for coyotes and I asked her to push "P1" (female invitation). After 2 howls I told to push "mute" and then at 5 minutes to do it again. At 8 minutes I asked her to push "P4" for a few puppy whines. At 12 minutes it was "P3" for jackrabbit distress and I was whispering to look at the butterflies moving by.

I looked back to the foxpro that was 40 yards from us and a coyote was jumping away from it!! I quickly told Bryn to look at the coyote and brought the AR up to aim. The "whack" from the bullet seemed louder than the suppressed report and there we had it. A couple "high fives" and celebrating ensued. I had called in the first coyote with my daughter and bloodied the AR. Suddenly coyote hunting was much more fun for Bryn and she was asking where we could find another one! I don't know how that coyote got so close when we had a view for miles but that is part of the fun of it!

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

I am sure there will be more adventures soon!!

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story brother....awesome. Good kid ya got there and a nice looking AR too. Congrats on the coyote and sharing a experience she'll remember for a life time.

Back