Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... PICS added

Yotes2Call

Been baiting for a couple years. Been successful with it, lots of work and very rewarding.

I have a couple bears this year that are total night time eaters. No show in the daylight hours. Heard many ways to get them to show in the daylight...

What tips and tricks does anyone have to make a nighttime bear show in the daylight ?

thanks

Last edited:
Hey Y2C! Good to see you on the board. Seeing any size or color?

Got an email from MulePacker with pics of the Bear his Bride killed this weekend on a Big Horn Mountain bait.

I would say you already thought of this,but did you try calling?I have a call that imitates a cub,that I'm dying to try out.I don't want to try it now for fear of educating a potential trophy.Also, is there a specific time that you bait?Maybe you could bait earlier and put less out.Then in order to get some,the bears would have to come in sooner.IDK.Just some thoughts.

hey CK... thanks ! been really busy this summer with work ! But that is not a bad thing !!

Ya, thought about the calling, might give it a try later if all else fails.

the baiting early is not working as I don't have a huge bear density problem here in Wyoming.

thanks for the suggestions though !

first one to show this year...

8-12-11_Bear.jpg

Last year... $5.00 Foot long from Subway
thumbup.gif

pict0237.jpg

pict0230.jpg

Snow in Sept.

PICT00491.JPG

@jb - i too am in pa and try to plan on calling in a bear this year. what is the call you are going to try? i am using several, including a rr calls one.

I'll get back to you on that.It is in my car right now.The reason that I have high hopes is that before work one morning,we stopped for coffee,and a guy said a sow and two cubs were treed over by our sportsmans club.We drove by and sure enough a big bear went over the bank.We stopped to look at it.It was walking back and forth,about 40 yards down the hill,and would not leave.My co-worker said that he thought he could imitate a bear cub.He started bawling,and this bear ran us right into our truck and was acting like she was going to try to get in.About then a state trooper came and sounded his siren off and it went back over the bank.She was grunting and popping her teeth while she was outside of the truck.And you would have thought she knew her cubs weren't there.But that convinced me that a bear will come to a call.

My call doesn't have any writing on it at all.It is about 5 inches long and all black plastic.It is built like a duck call.It is a barrel with the reed assembly pushed into one end.You can pull the reed,which is plastic,in and out to change the tone.I'll look around some sites and see what it is.Also.Go to youtube and search calling black bear.Some good video,and some cubs calling their mama.Will help to get the right tone and sequence.

jbmaster - thanks! i think that sounds like the call that came with the carlton dvd "they come to eat".....i am using a rr game calls, bearmanric on the board - done as a really raspy fawn distress. as you know, we only have a fall season, so i am hoping that they are more interested in a easy protein meal than berries, ya dig? i have heard those cub bawl ones before, i am wondering though, if fall season isnt the wrong time to try one (rick, where are you on this?) - i had thought that they usually get sows with cubs, or hungry males - but would cubs be that vulnerable so late in the year? am i overthinking that? over in bradford, i heard y'all have nice bears - not as nice as our "bozo" though, lol.

y2c, sounds like your best bet is a night vission scope!!!

I have no idea here, my bears are coming in at all hours, including all day long. I have not been able to patern them at all like you can a deer. Maybe try just a little bit of bait, and put it out real early in the am. sory i couldnt be more help.

I think it will work as cubs stay with momma for a couple years.Also,males will try to kill cubs.The story I mentioned earlier,happened in September.We do have some dandies around here.A friend of mine got one over 600 lbs several years ago.The big ones get really smart though.With only a 3 day season and no baiting or dogs,it can be tough.I chased one around in a slashing a few years ago.We circled three times before it busted out and headed for parts unknown.It's kind of scary wondering if you are coming up behind him or the other way around.I plan to scout the thickest tangles I know of for sign before season,then go back and try a series of calls from downwind.Around here,if a bear plans on wintering in a thicket or blowdown,it will rake up a big pile of leaves,sticks,and brush.Then keep coming back during bad weather until it finally hibernates.A guy I know got one that weighed 440 by watching a spot like this.

About 45 miles.Only ever hunted squirrel there.I personally,will not shoot a cub.I'd shoot the sow if I felt that the cubs were old enough.So far,I haven't had to make the choice.The sows and cubs must den up early because I've never cut tracks from them in hunting season.

Back