Legal requirements for sawed off shotgun/suppressors

Jhedges

I was always curious to the process you have to go through to be able to posess either a Sawed off shotgun or suppressor.. does it vary from state to state or is it all just Federal?

Thanks for fueling my curiousity lol..

There are experts here however I am not one of them. As I understand it you must apply for, pay for, be approved for and then receive a $200 Fed Tax stamp BEFORE you may take possession of a Class III firearm.

Folks that have machine guns, submachine guns,auto pistols, short barreled rifles, short shotgun and suppressors seem to enjoy having and using them.....different strokes.

I may be mistaken, since laws change all the time and I don't work at keeping up with them....It used to be that on your application for the Tax Stamp/Permit, you had to have your "Chief LEO" (Chief of Police or Sheriff) sign off on the application and have it approved before taking possession of the named item...

You should be aware that the Tax Stamp/Permit (or copy) must stay with the item at all times and the BATF can approach you at any time of the day or night and demand to see both the weapon and permit...

I looked into suppressors down here but you can't hunt with them in Georgia so I gave up. Yes, unless the law has changed in the last month or so you need to have law enforcement sign off also. The tax stamp will be good for the serial number of the item that is registered as class 3 so you would need a separate stamp for each suppressor/Class 3 weapon if you had more than one. As far as I was explained. But always check the actual regs so you don't get steered down the wrong path.

Last edited:
It varies state by state too.

I can use a supressor here in IND, but was not allowed a suppressor nor allowed to build a PPSH43, or AKSU Krinkov (Both SBR'S)in the state of new york.

None of those NFA items were allowed there including SB shotguns..

Here it is just the opposite

$200 and a Chief of Police sign off, Trust, or a LLC is all that is needed. I think I read somewhere you can have a judge sign off also but you may wanna check up on that one. Is all that is needed for the fed. part and the state laws are all different so you need to check your state laws.

As mentioned you have to have one for each NFA weapon.

Well I have a little 410 double barrel thats cut at 19 inches for the barrel and 26 overall and I was curious to what it would cost to cut that barrel down farther but if it is going to be 3-4 times more than i payed for it i will leave it as it is...

thanks for all the good information..

$200, a few months wait (typically), and dealing with the atf.
the "better" way of doing it involves (as dmpowder eluded) having the item in question owned by a trust in your name. No cleo sign off, no fingerprints (not that those should be a real issue) and you can name other people in the trust to be legally able to have the item/s in their possession when your not present (lending your sbs to a friend to hunt etc...) AND the trust can make it easier to leave the items to someone after your death (i dont know the details on this one).

...and on the state level they can be banned

Heck silenced america (the same silenced america thats giving away a great lil suppressor on this forum) has a great writeup on it...
silencedamerica.com/howto.html

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleYou should be aware that the Tax Stamp/Permit (or copy) must stay with the item at all times and the BATF can approach you at any time of the day or night and demand to see both the weapon and permit...

You do not lose any rights with NFA items. Where have you found this in federal law? They cannot bust down doors or anything else without the proper warrants, etc. Owning an NFA item is simply a few hoops to jump through but does not open your home to open invasion at at all. They are not at all similar to a home FFL license. They are just simply regulated firearms, that's it.

With that said, you should always have a copy of the tax stamp for any NFA item with the item at all times. You're guilty until proven innocent if you are out of your home utilizing such items and are asked to produce documentation and you don't have any.

Last edited:
I wasn't implying that anyone would be "busting down doors in the middle of the night" but some people do use suppressors and other similar items for night hunting...and other activities...The BATF does reserve the right of inspection upon issuance...Quote:and the BATF can approach you at any time of the day or night and demand to see both the weapon and permit......Please don't try to read into my comment anymore than what I originally stated...

Last edited:
ny with a ccw permit a short barrel shotgun IS legal my buddy has one he bought a few months back for hiking and a fun gun
suppresors are also legal with an ATF stamp but not legal to hunt with just for targets

Thats all i would use this little 410 for is just a back pack gun to go along with my 45. I wish i could just cut the barrel down and it be registered as a pistol because it wouldnt be any different that a Judge but i know it wont happen...

Back