Sight in distance for 17hmr

Jhedges

I was always curious to where exactly to sight in my 17hmr..I have had it sighted in at 25, 50, and 100 yds and i didnt know where to sight in again. It would be used as an all around small game gun, mostly squirells and such. Where do you HMR shooters sight in at?

I had an HMR, sighted in at 50, now I have a 17m2 its sighted in at 50 as well.

Youre hunting small game in ky (squirrels, rabbits, etc I presume) not shooting prarie dogs. I fail to see the nned for a 100 yard zero..YMMV

I believe it's the same as any other gun. Decide what distance the majority of your shots will be at and sight in there. Once sighted in make sure to shoot closer and further from your sight range so you'll have an idea on bullet drop/rise. I would do the .17 at 100 yards but check my shot placement at 50 so I would be prepared.

I think kel is right on the money. The only thing I would say is make sure your 100 yard shots on coyotes are perfect. My buddy shot one perfect at 100 yards with his HMR and it ran 600 yards like it wasn't hit before dropping like a stone. If you've got the country to watch them run go for it.

Originally Posted By: kelI believe it's the same as any other gun. Decide what distance the majority of your shots will be at and sight in there.

Here is the answer

Quote: The only thing I would say is make sure your 100 yard shots on coyotes are perfect. My buddy shot one perfect at 100 yards with his HMR and it ran 600 yards like it wasn't hit before dropping like a stone. If you've got the country to watch them run go for it.

Kinda makes a good case for not using a 17hmr for coyotes out at a 100 yards huh?

Thankfully the original poster seems to have been blessed with some good common sense and stated his 17hmr "would be used as an all around small game gun, mostly squirells and such."

I've got mine sighted dead on at 50 yds. Works well for me on rabbits and other misc. small game. With just a hair of hold over, small critters are in serious trouble out to around a 100yds.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderI sight mine in at 300 yards kinda helps with 1000 yard shots.

Finally someone who understands how to actually use the 17hummer lol

50 yards or 100 yards, almost the exact same thing with the 17gr Vmax. Run the numbers and see, the difference is 0.1" at either distance. I don't know about you but I wouldn't even be able to tell the differnece.

In reality, a 50 yard zero is the same thing as a 100 yard zero.

The only thing that I shoot with my 17 is prairie dogs, and after playing with the JBM calculator the best zero for me was 140 yards. It is good out to 175 yards with no real holdover for a standing PD. I have been very satisfied with that zero but your results may vary. Best of luck to you.

Back