Opinions on Browning A-bolt Medallion

Status
Not open for further replies.

browning442

Hey guys,

A local store here is having a sale sometime this week on browning A-bolt medallions. i'm thinking about picking one up, but wanted some reviews on them from you guys. thinking about getting a 25-06 or 7mm-08 or maybe even 22-250. not sure yet. either way, opinions on the rifle itself would be appreciated.
thanks

I bought 4 a-bolt brownings last year 2 in 270 2 in 243 put ziess scopes on them, we used them as loaner guns for guests, they used them on whitetail, hogs, coyote, bobcat, and at the range, if you want to test a rifle just give it to a bunch of guests, it will be dropped, runover, banged around,mistreated in every way a rifle can be, the a-bolts have stood the test, i might add it took a little time to get used to the single stack mag, i ordered 4 extra mags, as people loose mags that are removeable. rio7

My son owns an A-Bolt in 223wssm and I have one in 243. Both are very accurate, off the shelf, rifles. I think it's hard to go wrong with an A-Bolt.

I saw that flyer too. I have been around 3 in the last year and we couldnt hardly get them to shoot much larger than 1/2 inch groups. 2 were 25-06 and the other 223wssm. They preformed excellent. I think you will be more than happy.

Happy owner of several A-Bolts here, no matter what that guy in MI says about them. I have changed out the trigger spring with a Timney in most. Not really needed but a very easy improvement with the trigger.

Originally Posted By: browning442Hey guys,

A local store here is having a sale sometime this week on browning A-bolt medallions. i'm thinking about picking one up, but wanted some reviews on them from you guys. thinking about getting a 25-06 or 7mm-08 or maybe even 22-250. not sure yet. either way, opinions on the rifle itself would be appreciated.
thanks tomuchgun, the honors all yours, Grizz
lol.gif

well i ended up buying one in .243 since they didn't have any 25-06 on hand. their price was $450 which is pretty cheap for a browning a-bolt medallion! didn't need the gun, but couldn't pass it up... thanks for the opinions.

Chad, i got it at Big R as you probably saw in the flyer. They were being sold like hotcakes, one guy bought 10 of them the minute the store opened.

If you bought a new A-Bolt Medallion for $450, you did very well.

OBTW, I just sighted in my A-Bolt 'Micro-Medallion' in 284win for my MI bear hunt. I just checked the zero at 25 yards. Not a very long shot over the pile, but the gun is spot on.

If you ever want to go under the lowest setting with the trigger on your 243,(approx 4-4.25 lbs) that Timney spring is easy to put in. Enjoy.

I'm not even gonna go there. Pretty much everyone here knows I feel A-borts are a POS. I'll leave it at that.......

25yds is a pretty short shot. I take my big bore lever guns out for bear. Where in Michigan will you be hunting? I've taken a couple in the U.P. Drew a tag for Baraga area this year, but will not be able to go. I'm pretty disappointed about it. I love bear hunting......

I have 1st period Baraga. Things are looking very good. A close relative sets me up. I am heading up Friday.

Originally Posted By: browning442well i ended up buying one in .243 since they didn't have any 25-06 on hand. their price was $450 which is pretty cheap for a browning a-bolt medallion! didn't need the gun, but couldn't pass it up... thanks for the opinions.

Chad, i got it at Big R as you probably saw in the flyer. They were being sold like hotcakes, one guy bought 10 of them the minute the store opened.

Sounds to me like you got a heck of a deal! Let us know how it shoots.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'm not even gonna go there. Pretty much everyone here knows I feel A-borts are a POS. I'll leave it at that.......

For god sakes Ken,,, give it a frikin rest.
You know I love ya, but I think you'll admit that the ONLY one that has a problem with Browning's is the guy who doesn't own or shoot one.
I like my Remmy's as much as you do, and although Remmy sells ALLOT more rifles than Browning, you have to admit that you don't hear any where near the complaints from those that actually own Browning's as you do from Remmy owners weather real or perceived.
Even though they don't meet your "expert" engineering or metalurgy requirements, they generally shoot, and seldom have the problems ALLOT of the so called "out of the box shooters" have.

Bottom line is, your Browning bashing is paramount to another Obama speech.

That WAS giving it a rest Charlie.
grin.gif

Truth is, I'm quite tired of talking on the matter myself.

Although, for the record, no one can say I've never owned or shot one. The last one had some nice wood on it, although wood to metal fit was not very good.....

100_0145.jpg

100_0146.jpg

100_0147.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

Truth is, I'm quite tired of talking on the matter myself.

GOOD!!!!
grin.gif

Not busting your balls bud, but implying that someones brand new rifle (that they're probably quite proud of) as a "POS" is beneath you.

If you don't like em fine, but truth is, it's more than likely more accurate than most production rifles and will probably last a couple life times regardless of how anyone feels about em.

By the way,,, I had a Ruger Bisley in 45Colt,,,, WHAT A POS!!!!
laugh.gif

To the OP
If your 243 shoots anything like my Micro Hunter in 243 does, you should be very happy.

DSCN0073.jpg

While I seldom shoot more than a dozen rounds a year, mines never given me a lick of trouble. Nor has the Micro in 22H that I bought my grandson a few years ago, and he's pert near obliterated the entire Jack population in So.NV with it. He shoots as many rounds in ten minutes than I do in a year, and his is still running like a top.
Enjoy

Pete,
Good to see you around, been awhile. Personally, I'm not a fan of the A-Bolt for my own reasons. But good on anyone else if they have one they like and it works well for them. On a side note, I personally wish you would hang around and post a bit more often. I always appreciate your experienced views on various topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back