Best coyote lure out there

It takes a year or two but here it is. Find a plastic container (5 gal bucket, we used a rubbermaid trash can) Fill it with whole skunks and a couple coon (coon is for the oil) about 3/4 full, add water till it's covering the skunks. Let sit till it is liquified. (note don't seal it air tight got to let the pressures excape.) Once liquid fill containers ( we use cleaned out dish soap bottles) with a funnel. Set trap, make small hole, fill with grass, squirt and enjoy.

Also make coon bait the same way with carp and other not so tasty fish.

I tried a lot of commercial baits and call lures with no success, until I got my hands on Hawbakers Coyote 400/500? call lure. That stuff was phenominal. Been a while since I've done any 'yote trapping and I am not sure if Hawbaker still makes the stuff, or, has renamed it.

Last edited:
The only lures I would even use are O'Gorman's. He has 40+ yrs of trapping and luremaking experience, with 39,000 predators or more to his credit now. When I first tried his lures 20 yrs ago, I caught 10 to 1 on O'Gorman's compared to Carmen's and Milligan's, Milligan's lures were a joke compared to O'G's lures.

IMHO, I'd have to say Tim Cavens Violator-7, or Fox Hollows GH-II, both produce for me when others don't. Oh Gusto is another for when it gets real cold.

What time of year? Summer, winter? I like gland lure in the spring and summer. I also use it in the winter but go with a food type bait in the winter. O'Gormans lures are good but don't forget about Fur Country Lures. (John Graham). I also change up lures and also think that urine is king!

When I used to trap a lot I used Carmen's Coyote Gland Lure and Hawbaker's Coyote Lure No. 500. Had great success with both. I tried several others without avail. I think it depends on geographical location, time of year, and what the coyote is interested in at the time. I would also use quality coyote urine at all my sets.

That a pretty good question im sticking with more natural lures and scents. In warm weather i can't get them near a skunk smell. They go to rabbit or mouse pretty good even bluberries. Last winter when the snow got deep a little doe pee got there attention pretty good and they dug all the way to dirt. So as far as the best eveyone has a fav and all other suck. Im still learning and I'll tell yah this much you can't beat natural scent from there diet. Don't be affraid to try somthing new what works for u may not work for me. Also what best here in Maine for me may not do squat in your state for your yotes. Every trapper applies it different to much not enough ect ect. Most of all location is key and if you have that shouldnt need a scent is what my uncles and grandpa used to tell me. Ive seen them lug alot of critters...

I know this is a little bit of an old post but I agree with Chilson - Urine is one of the best attractors for Coyote, however just laying some Urine down at a set isn’t probably going to be good enough.Kishels has a good Coyote Urine that seems to work well
http://store.kishelscents.com/products/featured-products/coyote-urine

Heres a link to an article on their site that shows how to properly set up a good Coyote dirt hole set. You are asking about a lure, but the setup determines half of how well the lure will work. Some people use urine – but you can also use a bait or something like a food lure – depends what you want to tell the Coyote
http://www.kishelscents.com/2011/04/06/the-dirt-hole-set-how-to-make-a-productive-set

Good luck!

Heres a thaught for you all to think about, there are more options for lure then just a food lure there are gland lures there are food lures with glands most of the ingridients in these lures are used to leave a "trace" as well as act as stabalizers and fixitives voltality of a lure must be controled what a good lure does is suspend in the air but not dissapate at a rapid rate alot of oils fats etc work to help keep the odors from being so volatile they they dissapate rapily a good example is perfumes or colognes that is what i mean bye "volatile" or fast disipation and leaving not much behind after a short time a lure is desighned to let the partiles slowly leave in my opinion the best lures have a mild smell but have several of them i have learned alot bye a man named wayne derrick the man is a genious over 20 thousand coyotes alone to his name not to mention cats and grey fox he has shown me alot when you buy a lure take some things into consideration instead of "man that stuff stinks" think about how territorial,curious,aswell as hungry a coyote may be because he may be only one thats why a lure with several diffrent aproaches is so effective it gets a coyote or cat "hot" or agitated as well as makes him figure things out with his nose not only can coyotes smell so well they can also "taste" some of the ingridients from a distance the little ingridients people dont know about nor how to use is what makes a lure so effective. and once you think outside of the smell it opens a whole new world of trapping predators. i still do beleive urine is king but used with a good lure is is downright deadly but it must be used properly to take adult coyotes and cats a well as numbers.

theres alot more to lure being simply stinky if a guy thinks about it there are many odors to human beings that get us alerted angry hungry agaitated even upset roll many of those into one and you could shure get alot of peoples attention.do some playing around it shure is fun seeing the reactions you get. if a guy wants a quality lure that doesnt realy get old id say call wayne derrick hes prolly one of the only honest lure makers youl talk to i have also never heard of a guy not doing realy well with his lures theyve done well for me hes shown me alot about makeing lures i got a few im playing with but i dont thin theyl come close to a derricks lure

coyotes have a unspoken language of communication its used more then vocals and the lure makers that know what they are doing can speak it fluently in a bottle

Last edited:
Back