243wssm/Varget/Sierra 85 GK BTHP...I feel like I cheated

steve154

On Monday I finally found some Sierra GK 85 gr BTHP to try in my Oly 243WSSM. I have been itching to try some with Varget and was looking to get to the 40.5 load that I have read about on here. I loaded up 3 each, starting at 39gr of Varget and going up to 41 gr, in .5 increments. All seated to an OAL of 2.255. I shot today and when I got to 40 grains I knew I was in the ballpark. Absolutely no signs of pressure. Below 40, the necks and shoulders were getting pretty smoked up. Too low, if anything.

40 grains Varget
40.jpg

I shot the 40.5 set of three next and got this.

405.jpg

I am getting ready to load up some more at 40.5/2.255 for tomorrow.

Thanks to Dtech and others for sharing their knowledge on this cartridge. I feel like I am ahead of the curve on it.

Last edited:
Looks real good, Oughtaa smoke a coyote.

I had a .243 bolt gun that shot very similar to that with 40.0g of varget behind a 75g Speer hp.

The 85 Sierra GK rocks. I have one bolt rem 700 that prefers IMR 4895 and one that prefers Varget.

Both group under .75 90% of the time and occasionally .5"

5 shot group from today. Cold, clean bore shot is included in the group. I put it over my Chrony and it is at 3250. I am calling it good enough!

1-1.jpg

I put a new scope on my DPMS Prarie Panther. 3 shot group with 55 NBT and 27.2 gr Varget. I know a lot of people think varget is not good in .223 with less than 60 grain bullets, but I am really liking it. Velocity is 3050 with the Noslers and 3125 with 55 grain Game King HP's, which shoot to the same point of impact. All is well in the world of my predator hunting rigs.

2-1.jpg

have not checked it yet.its shooting so good didnt see the need to. getting a nightforce for it .going to shoot at 300yds this weekend and see what it will do.

Back