Ghost Ring DIY?

hk1123

so, i didnt want to hijack the lever gun thread - but, looking at the ghost sights - has anyone ever diy-ed as set up? i assume you could almost leave the front sight, as long as you painted it white with, maybe nail polish or something - but how could one jerry-rig up a rear ring sight/mount? ideas? as in, looking for some, cause maybe i want to...

What model lever do you have?

Here's a nice set up:

I've always liked placing the lever Xs rail on my lever gun.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23168/Product/MARLIN_1894_1895_336_308MX_LEVER_RAIL

Just like this!
marlin-1895sbl.jpg

Last edited:
On my Win. 94 I took a regular Lyman peep sight and simply unscrewed the aperture disk and look through the hole the disk screws into, which is now a large ghost ring. Most regular Lyman and Williams peep sights will work this way. If not, drill out the peep hole to as large as the metal will allow, up to about 5/32 inch (about .150").

I put a Williams on my 336, and installed an AE front sight - post with a white line running up it. Like Pete, I just remove the aperture when I want a ghost ring.
Mark

Often wondered the same myself - must be a PA thing, eh?!?!? For what they are, they are AWFULLY expensive! Not much competition, I guess. Never did it yet, but have been interested in taking a long Weaver/Picatinny rail section (similar to the AO/XS set-up), and fabbing up a cheap Weaver-style scope ring base with a ghost ring with interchangeable inserts - even washers drilled to size would work. The bare rail sections are available all over - Brownell's, etc., or can go to a gun shop where they have Weaver bases in stock and try them or measure the base cut-out circumference for one that is close, and go from there. Bedding it with bedding material (Devcon, JB Weld, Steeltex, etc.) would nicely make up for any differences in dimensions where it mates with the barrel Receiver- done for scope bases/rings sometimes. Weaver rings are cheap enuf to start with, but a milling machine would be really helpful here. Redfield used to have a simple peep site that you screwed into the back of one of there bases - simple, cheap, effective and no longer available.

I'm fairly sure the first one would cost WAY more in time than it is worth, but after that, more could be fabbed from a drawing w/ minor changes for each gun. JMHO.

so - i had a mucho cheapo thought here. i have a crosman pistol, that is on the lest of its legs - and it is has a cheapo plastic mounted sight system inteh back that screws from open, and if you flip it, aperature sight. what are teh odds that the cheap plastic busts right off? or that ir might work? additionally, the mount is a a much greater curvature that the top of the marlin....jbweld/putty build up?

Originally Posted By: Colorado PeteOn my Win. 94 I took a regular Lyman peep sight and simply unscrewed the aperture disk and look through the hole the disk screws into, which is now a large ghost ring. Most regular Lyman and Williams peep sights will work this way. If not, drill out the peep hole to as large as the metal will allow, up to about 5/32 inch (about .150").

Unless you just really dislike your gun spend the $35.00 or so for a Williams Fool Proof and follow Pete's direction. JB Welding an airgun plastic sight on board would not be something I would do to any decent firearm and expect it to look or perform decently.

I just recently saw a back up peep that would mount to a Weaver base. Can't remember who made it though, I think it was in one of teh recent rags.

Just checked... been awhile since I've bought one, huh? The price has increased a bunch. With that said, the 5D receiver sight and the WGRS are both available for around $30.00. Check Brownell's website for a comparison between the two models. I prefer the Fool Proof, but I've owned the 5D model. The 5D isn't as easy to sight in because you basically are guessing with the adjustment movements, but once you get it where you want it, it locks down snug as anything else. That WGRS looks interesting, very trim, and should use the existing front sight with no problems.

Back