Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1992126 - 09/05/11 08:25 PM Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... PICS added
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, Wyoming
Been baiting for a couple years. Been successful with it, lots of work and very rewarding.

I have a couple bears this year that are total night time eaters. No show in the daylight hours. Heard many ways to get them to show in the daylight...

What tips and tricks does anyone have to make a nighttime bear show in the daylight ?

thanks

Edited by Yotes2Call (09/07/11 06:46 PM)

#1992312 - 09/05/11 11:07 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
Hey Y2C! Good to see you on the board. Seeing any size or color?

Got an email from MulePacker with pics of the Bear his Bride killed this weekend on a Big Horn Mountain bait.

#1992357 - 09/05/11 11:53 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
jbmaster Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Bradford, Pa.
I would say you already thought of this,but did you try calling?I have a call that imitates a cub,that I'm dying to try out.I don't want to try it now for fear of educating a potential trophy.Also, is there a specific time that you bait?Maybe you could bait earlier and put less out.Then in order to get some,the bears would have to come in sooner.IDK.Just some thoughts.

#1992392 - 09/06/11 12:46 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

hey CK... thanks ! been really busy this summer with work ! But that is not a bad thing !!

Ya, thought about the calling, might give it a try later if all else fails.

the baiting early is not working as I don't have a huge bear density problem here in Wyoming.

thanks for the suggestions though !

#1993137 - 09/07/11 08:37 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

anyone ?

#1993449 - 09/07/11 06:49 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

first one to show this year...

Last year... $5.00 Foot long from Subway thumbup

Snow in Sept.

#1993469 - 09/07/11 07:14 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Off the topic but had to show you these recent shots.

#1993597 - 09/07/11 09:53 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

I have Bears and Bunnies ! tongue_smilie

#1993609 - 09/07/11 10:09 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Bambi, Yogi and Thumper. thumbup

#1993787 - 09/08/11 02:17 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
hk1123 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: PA
@jb - i too am in pa and try to plan on calling in a bear this year. what is the call you are going to try? i am using several, including a rr calls one.

#1994552 - 09/08/11 11:56 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: hk1123]
jbmaster Offline
Seasoned Member

I'll get back to you on that.It is in my car right now.The reason that I have high hopes is that before work one morning,we stopped for coffee,and a guy said a sow and two cubs were treed over by our sportsmans club.We drove by and sure enough a big bear went over the bank.We stopped to look at it.It was walking back and forth,about 40 yards down the hill,and would not leave.My co-worker said that he thought he could imitate a bear cub.He started bawling,and this bear ran us right into our truck and was acting like she was going to try to get in.About then a state trooper came and sounded his siren off and it went back over the bank.She was grunting and popping her teeth while she was outside of the truck.And you would have thought she knew her cubs weren't there.But that convinced me that a bear will come to a call.

#1994573 - 09/09/11 12:20 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
jbmaster Offline
Seasoned Member

My call doesn't have any writing on it at all.It is about 5 inches long and all black plastic.It is built like a duck call.It is a barrel with the reed assembly pushed into one end.You can pull the reed,which is plastic,in and out to change the tone.I'll look around some sites and see what it is.Also.Go to youtube and search calling black bear.Some good video,and some cubs calling their mama.Will help to get the right tone and sequence.

#1994575 - 09/09/11 12:35 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

anyone have any more tricks or thoughts on changing things up ?

thanks Y2C

#1994698 - 09/09/11 10:56 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
hk1123 Offline
Predator Master

jbmaster - thanks! i think that sounds like the call that came with the carlton dvd "they come to eat".....i am using a rr game calls, bearmanric on the board - done as a really raspy fawn distress. as you know, we only have a fall season, so i am hoping that they are more interested in a easy protein meal than berries, ya dig? i have heard those cub bawl ones before, i am wondering though, if fall season isnt the wrong time to try one (rick, where are you on this?) - i had thought that they usually get sows with cubs, or hungry males - but would cubs be that vulnerable so late in the year? am i overthinking that? over in bradford, i heard y'all have nice bears - not as nice as our "bozo" though, lol.

#1994754 - 09/09/11 01:00 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: hk1123]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Michigan. Go Blue
y2c, sounds like your best bet is a night vission scope!!!

I have no idea here, my bears are coming in at all hours, including all day long. I have not been able to patern them at all like you can a deer. Maybe try just a little bit of bait, and put it out real early in the am. sory i couldnt be more help.

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

#1994758 - 09/09/11 01:05 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: hk1123]
jbmaster Offline
Seasoned Member

I think it will work as cubs stay with momma for a couple years.Also,males will try to kill cubs.The story I mentioned earlier,happened in September.We do have some dandies around here.A friend of mine got one over 600 lbs several years ago.The big ones get really smart though.With only a 3 day season and no baiting or dogs,it can be tough.I chased one around in a slashing a few years ago.We circled three times before it busted out and headed for parts unknown.It's kind of scary wondering if you are coming up behind him or the other way around.I plan to scout the thickest tangles I know of for sign before season,then go back and try a series of calls from downwind.Around here,if a bear plans on wintering in a thicket or blowdown,it will rake up a big pile of leaves,sticks,and brush.Then keep coming back during bad weather until it finally hibernates.A guy I know got one that weighed 440 by watching a spot like this.

#1994771 - 09/09/11 01:21 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

May be different in PA, but here it is illegal to kill a sow with cubs at her side, regardless of the age of the cubs.

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

#1994828 - 09/09/11 02:55 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Jesse lackey]
hk1123 Offline
Predator Master

Jesse - here in PA - we drive'm, so we shoot 'em all - cubs and all.

jb-any way you are near the grand canyon of PA?

#1994915 - 09/09/11 05:31 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: hk1123]
jbmaster Offline
Seasoned Member

About 45 miles.Only ever hunted squirrel there.I personally,will not shoot a cub.I'd shoot the sow if I felt that the cubs were old enough.So far,I haven't had to make the choice.The sows and cubs must den up early because I've never cut tracks from them in hunting season.

#1994939 - 09/09/11 06:06 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

I c. Makes sense to me.

#1995017 - 09/09/11 08:22 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: jbmaster]
hk1123 Offline
Predator Master

then have i got a tip for you - PM me if you want a bear hunt, 45 mins from you - the scat pic i have is bigger than my head - for realz, and it is all berries, and i couldnt find a patch anywheres.

#1995448 - 09/10/11 03:05 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: hk1123]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Hey Scott. Since your topic has gone "round and round the Mullberry bush; I know you won't mind if we take it for another circle, so here goes. (-:

MulePacker is pulling his hair out with computer problems over on Beaver Creek. Eventually we will get him up to speed on posting pics, but it will take some reteach sessions. tt2

So anyway he asked me to put up a few recent pics from his Big Horn Mountain Bear Bait. He and his Bride had a great week of mountanin camping/hunting and she closed the area quota with her .270 on a nice Blackie.

MulePacker clearly Married UP, don't you think?

And they got a freezer full of Blue Grouse and this Bonus PIC w00t

w00t tt1 tongue_smilie thumbup cool

#1995455 - 09/10/11 03:17 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

There you go MulePacker. Now jump in and tell us the whole story!

The rest of you guys get on here and help Yotes2call figure out how to get those night feeders to show during shooting hours.

#1996050 - 09/11/11 01:33 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

why would we want to talk about what the thread started out as ??

scared

#1996058 - 09/11/11 01:49 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Sorry Y2C. I don't know a thing about Bear Baiting. Watching and talking with MulePacker about it has shown me that there is a lot more to it than I thought.

I can sure see how those darned "Night Feeders" would frustrate the heck out of a guy.

#1996616 - 09/12/11 07:57 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Y2C, i think you may have everyone stumped! Have you tried a search to see if this has been covered before?

#1996635 - 09/12/11 09:06 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: DoubleCK]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK
Sorry Y2C. I don't know a thing about Bear Baiting. Watching and talking with MulePacker about it has shown me that there is a lot more to it than I thought.

I can sure see how those darned "Night Feeders" would frustrate the heck out of a guy.

Very true... a lot of folks think it is a cheat of a way to get a bear. I beg to differ ! w00t

#1996643 - 09/12/11 09:25 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Yotes2Call]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Yeah, its illegal to bait bear's where i hunt, but lucky for me, they seem to enjoy all the tasty treats provided by my deer food plots! I have been trying to plant some oats, but all i can find is molasses covered oats, i think they still should grow, but the dang bears keep eating them before they get a chance to sprout!

#1996656 - 09/12/11 09:52 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Jesse lackey]
mulepacker Offline

Loc: Sheridan, WY
Even though we have filled our tag we are keeping our bait
up and running and have a real nice big boar comming in every night. In 3 weeks of baiting he has never come during the
shooting hours. We will keep feeding him for awhile and get
him hooked on this bait site and hopefully by next year
we can get him comfortable enough that he starts feeding
while you can still shoot.

"If you're lucky enough to live in Wyoming, you're lucky enough"

#1998856 - 09/15/11 12:02 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: mulepacker]
Barkspud Offline

Loc: Down east, Maine
Well lets see a night feeder in during the day....? Gona need some more info...what r u baiting with and hows the natural feed in the area? Is he hitting nightly and what times? Baiting early in the morning is a good start. How much bait is he eating a night? Ive been bear hunting over baits over 30 years and it may never happen. Man i love bear hunting i got four baits going as i type and bears everynight some in day. Have pssed on three so far im waiting for my monster to come in during the day. Gona sit again tonight but weather is horrible so i have high hopes. [img:center]http:// [/img] [img:center]http://

Edited by Barkspud (09/15/11 01:37 PM)

#2001296 - 09/19/11 02:12 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Barkspud]
Catkiller Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Roland,Oklahoma,U.S.A.
That is a monster!!!!!!

#2001398 - 09/19/11 05:30 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Jesse lackey]
Cory29901 Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yotes2Call,

I can tell you a story that is about 20 years old. A guy I knew named Leo, who is now deceased had baited bears for years and years in Washington State. He had been baiting a bear for my dad, and the bear would only come at night after my dad had left the stand. Leo told my dad that they needed to mess with the bear's head. Leo had been baiting with donuts back then. They went to the grocery and Leo bought like 4 bags of the big marshmallows. He went back to put the bait out for the night and walked down the trail that the bear had been coming in to the bait on. He went 3-400 yards or so and started dropping marshmallows about every three feet. He did this all the way to the bait and then right next to the bait was a small pine tree. He made a marshmallow tree by sticking the marshmallows all over it like a Christmas tree.

My dad hunted the stand that night, and after a couple of hours he saw the bear coming up the trail. He said the bear would see the next marshmallow and go and eat it and the next one and the next one. He said the bear's eyes got real big when he saw the marshmallow tree and he went for it. My dad shot the bear standing up as he was picking marshmallows off the tree.

Leo said that the marshmallows made him forget about the hunter in the treestand only think about eating more marshmallows.

Don't know if this would work for ya...of course if he finds that first marshmallow...look out.

#2002647 - 09/21/11 11:40 AM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Cory29901]
Yotes2Call Offline
Die Hard Member III

can almost picture that... lol

thanks !

#2002847 - 09/21/11 06:29 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Barkspud]
Barkspud Offline

Loc: Down east, Maine
Ive been talking with some canadian guys and sugested cutting the bait to a third the norm. Ive been giving it a try, one site seems to be helping and one its not. Wish i could have hunted tonight got off the boat to late.
Porky's

#2003049 - 09/21/11 10:21 PM Re: Bears, baiting and nocturnal bears.... [Re: Cory29901]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: Cory29901
Yotes2Call,

I can tell you a story that is about 20 years old. A guy I knew named Leo, who is now deceased had baited bears for years and years in Washington State. He had been baiting a bear for my dad, and the bear would only come at night after my dad had left the stand. Leo told my dad that they needed to mess with the bear's head. Leo had been baiting with donuts back then. They went to the grocery and Leo bought like 4 bags of the big marshmallows. He went back to put the bait out for the night and walked down the trail that the bear had been coming in to the bait on. He went 3-400 yards or so and started dropping marshmallows about every three feet. He did this all the way to the bait and then right next to the bait was a small pine tree. He made a marshmallow tree by sticking the marshmallows all over it like a Christmas tree.

My dad hunted the stand that night, and after a couple of hours he saw the bear coming up the trail. He said the bear would see the next marshmallow and go and eat it and the next one and the next one. He said the bear's eyes got real big when he saw the marshmallow tree and he went for it. My dad shot the bear standing up as he was picking marshmallows off the tree.

Leo said that the marshmallows made him forget about the hunter in the treestand only think about eating more marshmallows.

Don't know if this would work for ya...of course if he finds that first marshmallow...look out.

Love that one! lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.