Timney trigger won't reset

benb

I just took my Rock River AR-15 to the range for the first time to make sure that everything worked since I got thru with all of the upgrades including a timney 3# trigger.

The first round worked beautifully. The bolt cycled, the brass was ejected, the next round was chambered and everything looked good. Then I pulled the trigger.

Nothing. The safety might as well have been on, because there was absolutely no movement in the trigger at all. I flipped it to safe and then I heard a "twang." I flipped it back to fire and the gun fired.

So now after every single round I have to cycle the selector from fire to safe to fire and then it works. Each time it goes from fire to safe there's a small twang (or snap) and the trigger is free to fire again.Since I put the thing together I figured I screwed something up.

Any ideas on what might be the cause? What should I look for? More importantly, how do I fix it?

I dont know how you can screw up a timney trigger install IMO. It might be a faulty trigger, did you shoot it before any upgrades?

yes. all was well. Been looking on other websites, looks like it may require some adjustment or could require sending it back...If I don't get some response on here that solves the problem will be on the phone with them tomorrow!

Ben,

I've had this same problem. The disconnector catches on the hammer when the bolt blows back.
I contacted Timney and fixed it myself.
You have to get a very tiny allen wrench, heat up your trigger unit and tighten up the screw on the disconnector (sear) seen here:

TimneyARtrigger.jpg

Heat it up cause they use some red locktite (or similar) to lock them in place.

Is this a first gen (older) trigger? I was under the impression that this was fixed as of a couple years ago.

Good luck. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I wouldn't hesitate to contact them. Stand-up company (from my experiences anyway).

Jon

Thanks PharmerJon, I thought it could be fixed without sending it in. So how much did you have to tighten, like a quarter or half turn or more? and was that clockwise I am assuming? If you can remember...
Thanks again for the advice!!

I'd definitely talk to Timney before I did anything to it. You don't want to void the warranty and end up screwed.

I used my wife's blow dryer to get it hot but I don't remember how much I tightened it.
And I did read all the stuff about voiding warranty, etc...
Even asked about the warranty when I talked to some dude at Timney.
He said try to fix it myself, if it didn't work send it in and they would fix it or replace it...

For the cost of them now, I can see the frustration. That is why I asked about the age of his trigger.
I was under the impression that this problem was fixed with the newer triggers.
I got lucky and purchased mine from a now banned member FFL dealer for dealer cost (and nowhere near the $240 dollars they cost now!)
-Jon

Thanks PharmerJon. With your help I was able to get it shooting like it should. Now I can send them as fast as I can squeeze the trigger!

I had this issue with my impact trigger. I tried heating it up and other stuff. It would not reset unless I pushed the triger with my finger. I tried everything. So what I ended up breaking it apart. Starting out with the pen channels. Once I broke it down I seen that it had a lot of loctite and was causing issues. I cleaned it out and lubed it. That's what I did to fix it. I emailed Timney triggers about the issue but they never responded. I won't be buying more. Sucks that my fourth one was my last one.

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI'd definitely talk to Timney before I did anything to it. You don't want to void the warranty and end up screwed.

contact timney. they were very responsive when i had issues with mine. gave me the option of sending parts out to swap or send trigger in for formal repair.

Back