How to Make Thumper's Rifle Ghillie

BillytheKid

Here is a way to make a rifle ghillie out of inexpensive materials that are easy to find.

How to Make Thumper's Rifle Ghillie:

Enjoy!

Well you for sure gave me a new thing to do this summer, only im lazy and i think im just going to make mine cover the barrel.
lol.gif

EDIT:
Black and white yard

I might pick some of that up and make me a winter time ghillie, think it would work?

Last edited:
That might work for your area perhaps. The snow areas I have been in do not have that much black. You may want to purchase plain white and plain gray, and make custom blended colors for your ghillie?

Yarn is cheap, so experiment!

well heres mine after an hour of working on it.
frown.gif
Ive got to say i dont like it, i didnt like the 1/3 over 2/3 idea because i didnt like how long the 2/3 one was and how it would rub on the ground of shooting prone.. So i changed it a bit and now it just looks funny. I also think im making each knot a little to close together. What ya'll think?

Knots:
IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

Last edited:
When I first started, I wasn't sure it would turn out, but I kept going in hope that it would all blend together once it was "seasoned". If you used enough yarns in your hanks, I think it will fluff up and turn out just fine.

The 1/3 - 2/3 thing works fine on mine because I extended the bipod legs fully. I also expected to just flare the yarns outward should I lower the bipod.

Also, if you cut the skein in half the way I did, the yarns will become shorter as you peel off the outter yarn and work your way to the center.

So, I found it best to alternate sides of the barrel as I tied the yarn hanks onto the elastic. This keeps the longest yarn lengths to the muzzel where the rifle is typically higher off the ground. As you alternate sides working your way back, the yarns become shorter as you go.

Hmm well this one is going to be a great learning experience but i did noticed they got longer so what i did is pull all of my 6 strand groups out and lay them out in a line i then alternated them short/long/short/long and then i just follow them in a line. Ill see how this one turns out in the end and if i works i think im going to make a desert camo one for my 10/22
thumbup1.gif

You'll see in the video how I turned the skein as I pulled the yarns from the rounded end. This way the lengths get shorter as you work your way around and into the center.

I did make a rifle ghillie out of that desert camo yarn. It turned out great! the colors blended with the "Open Country" pattern of a camo coveralls set my brother gave to me.

I should do a video and show those together?

IMG_0924.jpg

Theres mine, should have had it done yesterday but i just didnt feel like unraveling all of those little strings!
lol.gif
Off to get more yarn to make a desert camo one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: the noobie
IMG_0924.jpg

Theres mine, should have had it done yesterday but i just didnt feel like unraveling all of those little strings!
lol.gif
Off to get more yarn to make a desert camo one.
smile.gif

Sorry it took this long, but here is my video of the Desert Camo yarn used for Tinkerbell's rifle ghillie wrap:

Enjoy!

Bill

I like the desert, havent been to town in FOREVER to get some but im going to try making a winter one then if that works try a desert one for kicks and giggles

Originally Posted By: the noobieI like the desert, havent been to town in FOREVER to get some but im going to try making a winter one then if that works try a desert one for kicks and giggles

While you're there, check out the Red Heart brand Baby Clouds yarn in white. It's "all puffy like" and may make a decent rifle ghillie for snow?

Bill

Last edited:
Try using a fine tooth comb to unravel the yarn, start at the bottom and work your way up. It seems to work fine as I just tried it on a sample of yarn. Go slow or it will knot up just like untieing by hand.

Good idea, but I was impatient, and turned the comb over to use the course end. If you untwist the yarns at the top wide enough, you can insert one course comb tooth between each strand and run it all the way down.

Be sure to catch the strands at the bottom before the comb runs out, and then run each strand between your thumb and fingers to run the twist out.

MUCH MUCH FASTER!

Bill

Back