40 GR Vmax in 22-250

nazlumberjack

Hello all. New to this forum. Sure have enjoyed the information and stories.Question. Does anyone have experience using 40 grains VMax in their 22-250. If so is there a noticable difference than when shooting a 50 grain bullet as far as acuracy. also will the 40 grain do less damage to the fur.

I don't have personal experience with the 40gr but my local store says that the feedback that they've been getting is that it's blowing things apart. That's their words not mine. I use the 55 gr vmax and think it does very little damage so not sure why the lighter bullet would be bad unless it's the extra speed. You'd probably get more responses if you asked this in the ammo section. The 45gr jhp Winchesters I used were cheap.......but put fist size holes in whatever I shot.

I don't know how much difference it would be but I shoot the 40 grain V-max in 223 and it doesn't even make an exit hole in the fox I shoot. I love the round.

I don't have any experience with the 40gr V-Max in a .22-250, However on the surface it would seem to me to be extremely explosive on something that you might intend to keep like a coyote or fox and bobcat. I bet it would be funner than stomping frogs on colony varmints though.

Chupa

Thanks for the info. Love the 22-250 but sometimes it leaves a pretty good hole. I was thinking a little smaller grain might make less of a hole but that doesnt seem to be the general opinion. Guess i will have to experiment and see what happens.

I have shot the 40grs out of my 250 a lot. I had way to many runners, i now shoot the 55s and am playing around with the 60s. The 40s are awesome on prairie diggers though. The 40s were sure fast in front of varget, and shot amazingly accurate. Just the info i have collected. Good luck

I use Hornady 40gr v-max in my 22-250. Some dogs look like they got hit with a grenade and others no exit wound at all. My savage is a 1 in 12" twist. It shoots them 4100+ fps. I totally love that round, fast and super accurate

Last edited:
I've tried the 40s in 2 different AR's and my 250 and havnt had good luck, nothing impressive, I like the 50, 53, or 55 grain vmax much better.

Tried the 40 vmax, not consistant. Not as good in the wind.
Moved to 50 gr blitzking and nosler, much better. The nosler is available seperate for reload or factory loaded under several brands and as combined technology or winchester supreme ammo.

I shoot them out of my tikka 22-250 with 1-14 twist. I killed 15 dogs last year, all while calling and with ranges from 80-200 yards. Only one was a exit and that's because it hit between brisket and front leg and still only blew a less than 1 1/2 inch hole. Fur buyer deducted me 2$ cause of it...still brought 10$. I personally have great success even in my 223s on called coyotes.

I shoot a 40 grain vmax out of my 22-250 encore it loves it. I have seen results like dirt nap, some are bad and some have fist size holes in them.

I have a fella here in his 80s that shoots nothing but a 22-250
I talked awhile with him on a fur friendly bullet
He told me he's killed a lot of coyotes useing
Speer 40 gr spire points with almost zero exit holes
That's running 4150 fps Hope this helps

Back