My New Tikka T3 Lite 223 Project

Ok guys, since one of the mods emailed me to clarify I can post the links as long as I was not employed with the companies here are the links:

BTW, thank you mod for clarifying!

HSS In Autralia: http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?products_id=763
Roedale In England: http://www.webshop.roedale.de/product_info.php?products_id=400

HSS Do sell at Ebay as well but can only purchase what is currently for sale
and cost is more than ordering direct, but you can buy both handle and shroud:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tikka-T3-Alloy-bolt-...1#ht_795wt_1141

Hope this helps!

Peter

Last edited:
Here's a couple of Installation Videos that will help:

Shroud removal and installation and bolt removal and installation;

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mtbadgerI have a Tikka T3 Lite in blued with a Sightron 4-12x42 that I can't seem to get any better than cloverleafs. This is with the Winchester white box soft points...

Both the wife and mother-in-law claim the gun as theirs....

I would suggest try different ammo. And see what's best for the rifle.
With my experience with other rifles PMC Gold is even better than Winchester white box ammo. I've had bad experience with them as well. I compete in
3 Gun and used Winchester brand before. The spent primers kept falling inside my AR trigger group. I always had to open my AR just to remove primers.
Never again will I use Winchester in white boxes.

Last edited:
I don't know what to think. I'm not a reloader (yet). I chose the 55 grain SP's because so many people said they were relatively fur friendly and I'm just beginning my coyote hunting so I wanted to keep any good pelts. I've tried the 3 factory loads I mentioned and they all seem to shoot about the same. So far I've been able to get 5 shots in an inch at 100 yards. For me that is very good, I'm not a competitive shooter or for that matter what I would consider a highly skilled shooter, especially compared to what I've seen guys on here doing. What impressed me so much about my Tikka was the fact that once it was sighted in every group seemed to be really good for me even trying 3 different brands of ammo. I'm wondering now if I could shrink those groups with a bit heavier bullet. I also just got my first Leupold scope and plan on mounting it soon, maybe that will help as well. Thank you for the info.

There was a guy by the name BigBamboo think it was on California Predator club forums that did just about everything to his T3.Nice gun.

Originally Posted By: KzoneThere was a guy by the name BigBamboo think it was on California Predator club forums that did just about everything to his T3.Nice gun.

Thanks. Bigbamboo "Stan" is a friend of mine.
He likes using Roedale products.

I'm designing and cutting some grip tape at the moment to see how it looks on the forearm and rifle grip. If I like it, this will be the format for stippling.

I'm just not a fan of slippery grips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog
mtbadger said:
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in blued with a Sightron 4-12x42 that I can't seem to get any better than cloverleafs. This is with the Winchester white box soft points...

No Better than cloverleafs with factory ammo. Boy that really sucks don't it!!
lol.gif

That's what I was thinking. That's not exactly premium ammo either.

Yesterday, I compared 2 totally different rifles- MSTN AR-15 against a Tikka T3 Bolt rifle. Both in 223 caliber.

Top target was MSTN AR with 16" Lilja Barrel bottom Target was Tikka
T3 lite bolt action rifle with 22 1/4 " barrel.

Using PMC 55 GR AND Federal 55 gr ammo. Using Trijicon Accupoint scopes on both rifle. TR21R for the MSTN Rifle and TR20R for the Tikka Bolt Action rifle.

Both rifles performed outstanding!
Using cheap ammo!

IMG_0006-7-1.jpg

The shooting range I was at had a hanging steel gong and was at 300 yards
the Both Tikka and Mstn were hitting it dead on and that included wind factored in.

Last edited:
Mine shoots MOA off shooting sticks with hornaday 55 gr. SP 50 round box from cabelas. Thinking off a bench it would be substantialy better.

All I did was clean the barrel and action real good and adjust the trigger to 2 lbs and start shooting. I guess I also set the torque to 25in lbs on the action screws when I put it back together.

The barrel heats up quick. I fire 3 rounds with one minute timed between each shot(chamber empty bolt open while waiting). Then wait 30 minutes for the barrel to cool before I fire 3 more rounds. DOn't excepct the gun to shoot more then three to five shots before the group starts to open up. Consistent timing between the shots is also important for maximum accuracy.

I'm happy with my Tikka T3 Lite. Yesterday was the first time I shot it after the purchase and working on it. She's not even broke in yet.

I will load some 68 gr. Hornandy Vmax later and will try that too.

Last edited:
Whatcha huntin with 68 Grns? Just long distance target shooting? Some of us Tikka shooters wanna know!
grin.gif
I hunt with mine, and any info that you find will be much appreciated. 40-60 gr BTs Nosler and Vmax.. drop Coyotes pretty well. Looking forward to your findings with the heavier weights..Please keep us informed!

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Whatcha huntin with 68 Grns? Just long distance target shooting? Some of us Tikka shooters wanna know!
grin.gif
I hunt with mine, and any info that you find will be much appreciated. 40-60 gr BTs Nosler and Vmax.. drop Coyotes pretty well. Looking forward to your findings with the heavier weights..Please keep us informed!

Well 68 gr is what I use when I compete in 3 Gun matches for my MSTN AR's.
And works great for 300-400 yards 16" steel plate targets. I am currently using
55 gr VMAX for hunting yotes. And also does dime size groupings on the Tikka rifle.

Here's the MSTN SPR AR with Lilja barrel I use for 3 Gun and compared it with the Tikka T3 rifle.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got done finishing stippling the Tikka Bolt Action rifle. It grips much better now. No more slippery grips!

DSCF1005-1.jpg
top of the grip

DSCF1003-1.jpg
grip

DSCF1001-1-1.jpg
hand guard

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Looking good! Nice work! Have you found better groups in your Tikka with the heavier bullets?

Thanks! I haven't had time to test heavier loads at the moment.
When I get a chance I will let you know.

Right now I have around 200 rounds of 55gr V-Max and see how it does on Yotes.

Back