Optics for .44 Mag?

Borden811

So, I'm going to get some sort of optics for on my .44 Colt Anaconda. I'm leaning towards a Burris Fastfire II. I Don't really want a magnifying scope, and would like to stick with the red dot/holographic type sights. Would the Burris hold up to the recoil, or be a bad idea for any reason? Any other suggestions before I spend my money?

I usually like expensive optics....but the new Truglo sight looks promising and they offer lifetime warranty I think. Otherwise, the Fastfire should be fine.

The Fastfires arent very large, and I would think very little torgue would be applied by the recoil..but thats only a guess.

The only thing that worries me about the fastfire is that the warranty is only 1 yr, not lifetime, or even 5 years. That's the only thing holding me back from buying one right now.

Well, Any recommendations on any type of red dot/holographic sight in the 200-250 dollar range that might hold up, or has a good warranty?

I've not used one, but the Vortex SPARC falls in that price range, and has a lifetime warranty, which is a good thing....

I'm more of a scope guy or Iron sights on a hunting handgun but have used some of the tube style red dot's, I have had a Ultra dot on a 7 1/2" Redhawk for hundreds of heavy 300gr and up to 325gr heavy cast bullet loads with no problems, I also ran a LaserAim Illusion red dot on the same gun plus my wifes 20 gauge Rem slug gun also with no problems.
Just stay away from the Tasco's and BSA's I traded a guy for a NIB 14" 44magnum TC Contender with a Tasco red dot it lasted less than 8 rounds then actually fell apart I still have it in its original box I couldn't get Tasco to replace it.

Ultra Dot is a good recommendation, and I'm surprised I did not think of it. As far as red-dots go, they are of decent quality and toughness. I sold mine, but know a couple others who run them.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI've not used one, but the Vortex SPARC falls in that price range, and has a lifetime warranty, which is a good thing....

You beat me to it 2mg. The SPARC would not only be my first chouce but would be my only choice of a red dot. Awesome little guy that is as tough as they come. Dang good price too.

Hmmmm. I think I'm still leaning towards the burris, but the ultradot has me contemplating it. I looked at their two holographic models, and the seem decent.

Between those two, go ultradot. You never know when you need a warranty. I had a transmission go out literally 1 day after the warranty expired.

Well, I read over the ultra dot warranty, and most of the stuff that seems like it would break, isn't covered. the glass isn't covered, things that break from normal use aren't covered(breaking from recoil is considered normal use according to the warranty) etc. The warranty sounds good, but then when I read over it, it didn't sound so good.

Last edited:
I have an ATN digital on my 357 and have not had an issue with it holding up. The only thing that I see wrong with it is that the brightness is not that great when it is really sunny out. I also have a burris xts that I had on my dads SW 629 and it held up great but the dot was to big that at 150yds it would cover up the majority of the the deer. We took it off and put a 2-6x scope on it and he love it now. I took the xts and put it on the 22 pistol and it is a fun gun to plink with.

Back