Do coyotes eat squirrels?

Teamroper

I have a honey-hole that I was going back to in another couple of weeks but the landowner said that he wanted me to wait awhile since the grey squirrels had completely destroyed his corn patch and he wanted the coyotes to kill them. I didn't know that they hunted them. Anybody out there know anything about this subject?
confused.gif

Do they eat them? Yes

I dropped dead tree rats for bait and have trail cam pics of yotes eating them.

Do they hunt them?

I would venture to say yes. But they'd have to be quick b4 the squirrel climbs a tree - for a yote I don't think it would be mucher harder than catching a rabbit before it runs down its hole.

If the squirrels are wandering far enough into a corn patch, my guess is that they would make a pretty easy meal for Wiley.

I would bet money on it!! As you have read on here, coyotes eat everything. And a squirrel between a corn field and a tree is fair game or dinner fair. So after the landowner beleives the squirrels have be place under control, go there and be the squirrel. With a squeaker of course. But, I have doubts about the thinning.

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonI'd just have to offer to kill them with the 22 for him and use them on a pile. Ha! Win Win !!!

I am with Season,on this one,you can kill a lot of squirles in an afternoon,before a yote can kill one,plus its a blast to boot!!Then go back for the yotes.

Where I deer hunt the coyotes eat the crap out of the squirrels. And, there are still a boat load of them left, so I agree with the idea of getting the 22 out. Coyotes cant catch em all and the land owner should be happy about you getting rid of the nuisance.

I've witnessed coyotes chasing squirrels in the woods. And using a stick I've dissected coyote poop and seen it filled with those little squirrel claws. In my neck of the Ozark's it is nearly all heavy timber and squirrel populations are usually pretty good. Some years on an upswing in the population the numbers of squirrels can be danged near scary - they are running around everywhere in extremely high numbers. I've sat on a deer stand where visibility was no more than 100 yards because of terrain and timber and counted as many as two dozen squirrels within view, move a 1/4 mile and see that many again. I've done this nearly all day long some days - that's a lot of squirrels. No doubt they provide protein and plenty of it to coyotes, bobcats, owls, hawks, ect. I've actually seen coyotes chasing squirrels, seen bobcat tracks in the snow where they've caught and killed squirrels, and watched both owls and hawks catch squirrels in the woods. I think in my neck of the woods squirrels replaces the cottontail rabbit we think of most often as prime prey in many other areas because of availability. In fact, I often use a squirrel distress for a stand alone distress call and do quite well with it.

Coyotes love sweet corn,,,at my dads farm,,they have been uprooting the whole stocks...dragging them into the high weeds.

X

GC there you go giving away my secret sound.
wink.gif
I have called up a few Bobcat/coyote same stand doubles with the squirrel distress.

Sorry...
wink.gif
It does work well, doesn't it? I often times will call other squirrels too, which is neat because they'll come running in through the trees and start chattering and barking. The crows begin wheeling around and cawing and your stand has about as much realism as you can manufacture. I use the Predator Supreme decoy and that is very squirrel like in size and tail length. I've had a bunch of coyotes try to bite the decoy which is wobbling around all hurtin' like. You mentioned bobcats and they like it too, and boy so do the grey fox! Grey's respond really well to squirrel distress around here.

I have gray squirrel distress on my foxpro and usally carry around old time bellow style squirrel call.

Perfect natural native species sounding call to break the monotony of the bunny blues sometimes.

Back