If you have a Browning shotgun read and comment on this...

YoteSnuffer

I have a Browning Maxus in MO Brush, bought it in February, absolutely love it! It shoots all 3 shell lengths and can really burn it up. Having said that.... It uses the Invector Plus choke system. Does anybody know a good choke besides the x-full that browning sells that shoots good patterns with Dead Coyote? (I'm in the process of ordering an x-full right now). Or post your choke/load combo and I will pattern and plywood test it when I can. Thanks guys
thumbup.gif

Look for a quality choke of around .685" diameter for your bore size. BTW, MidwayUSA.com has turkey chokes on a great sale right now. Find a good choke from Kick's, Indian Creek, Pure Gold, ect. in the .685" range and assemble as many good loads as you can in Lead No. Four Buck, Lead BB, Remington HD-BB & T's, Dead Coyote T's and hit the range for some patterning. There is a ton of patterning information here if you search for it with the Google Custom Search feature at the top of the page.

I shot a Patternmaster out of my BPS, and it shot pretty tight patterns.

That being said, I now use Diana grade chokes in my Citori and sold my BPS to buy a SBE-II which has a Carleson's tube in it

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a .680 'Precision Hunter' choke from Trulock chokes in my Browning 12 ga Gold. I patterned it with 'T' Hevi-shot & am very content.

My SX3 used the invector plus tubes and I used the dead coyote a few times pass shooting geese on the river. While i never put th dead coyote on paper It shot extremely tight out of my Pattern Master. tight enough that I ruined a couple of geese that were at about 30yds.

That said I did spend alot of time shooting my invector plus chokes at paper and I noticed the bigger and harder the shot was the more open of a tube that it liked. like with BBs and BBBs (steel) and ImpCyl it shot basically a full pattern. Heavy shot is extremely brittle(will turn to powder with a pair of pliers) I would not push it through a real tight choke. Just food for thought.
Jim

I will say I have never shot dead coyote through anything other than a pattern master

Last edited:
Pure gold makes a "buckshot choke". I believe it is ~.696 if I remember corectlly. It shoots the DC quiet well. Better than the .670 (turkey) choke they also make, at least it did in my gun. The .670 shot 4B's better.

I've had great luck with a patternmaster in a 10ga Browning shooting large buckshot. Never shot any DC in it... I also had a Rhino for the 10 that did not shoot very well.

Every shotgun is different & will pattern different each time you shoot it. You may try many things before you find "the best". As stated a quality choke in ~.680 range is a great place to start.

Call Jeff Hajjar @ Sure Cycle and talk to him, give him the specs on the ammo and he'll recommend one of his various Terror chokes. Top notch products and great guy to deal with. I have two of his Terrors one in .670", patterns DC very well at 45-55yds and one in .675, patterns very well at 35-45yds, but I didn't buy them to hunt coyotes with.

Originally Posted By: YoteSnufferI have a Browning Maxus in MO Brush, bought it in February, absolutely love it! It shoots all 3 shell lengths and can really burn it up. Having said that.... It uses the Invector Plus choke system. Does anybody know a good choke besides the x-full that browning sells that shoots good patterns with Dead Coyote? (I'm in the process of ordering an x-full right now). Or post your choke/load combo and I will pattern and plywood test it when I can. Thanks guys
thumbup.gif

Look at Rhino chokes. Been using one in my BPS for several years with hevi-shot turkey loads.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I use a .680 'Precision Hunter' choke from Trulock chokes in my Browning 12 ga Gold. I patterned it with 'T' Hevi-shot & am very content.

Trulock chokes are an excellent choke, I have found them to be at least as good as any other after market choke, and also at a little friendlier price too.

Asking someone about chokes is liking asking what makes a woman attractive. You're going to get 300 different responses and 99% of them will be right.
smile.gif

I'm sure if you went with any of the Carlson, Trulock, Briley, PatternMaster, etc chokes, you will find success.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Buy a Carlson dead coyote choke tube.

Exactly. I have a BPS in M.O. Brush. I use the Carlson choke tube for coyote/fox/badger. 50 yds is no problem whatsoever. They promise 70 effective.

I wish I had some advise on this topic, but I too was wondering about a good load / choke combo. So I am gathering the input from others and looking for suggestions for coyote. I recently purchased the Browning Maxus 3.5 in Mossy Oak Duck Blind 28" Barrel. I spent way too long on making my decision, but I am VERY pleased with my choice. Lightest auto shotgun I have ever handled and the least amount of recoil. Eats anything and everything I have fed it.

Back