I'm calling you out. YES YOU!!!

Back in March, a bunch of us posted in this thread WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE NEXT SEASON A HIT??? Many of you posted up some things that you were going to work on over the summer to get ready for this fall. Thought it would be fun to see who accomplished their goals or changed their mind for whatever reason. Personally, I love to set goals and achieve them. Gives me purpose... I'll start (If you didn't post in the original thread, that's fine. We want to see what you invented, changed, upgraded, or learned to make this coming season a success.

Here's what I posted;

I've got a couple projects in the hopper.

#1- I just purchased a Garmin GPS and 8 Kirsch's Outdoor Products Trax Maps for the 8 states that I hunt in the most. I plan to scout 2-3 days a week all summer long and "pin" locations on the map where ever I find den sites, see a coyote, or get responses from coyotes while doing some locate howling. Then I'll take it one step farther and plan stand locations in conjunction with the coyote locations. I'll "pin" where to park the truck, which path to take to approach the stand undetected and where to sit for the best opportunity to call and kill one. If I'm diligent, I'll have a large database of viable scouting info to use next fall.

result; I've logged over 11,000 miles since March scouting in UT, MT, NV, ID, WY, OR, NM, AZ, CO, and SD. My Garmin is chock full of calling stand locations on Private, National Forest Service, Wildlife Managment and BLM lands.
grin.gif
(some of the locals would kill to get their hands on my GPS)

#2- As beautiful as the Benelli M4 is, I think it needs a camo dip job. I'm sending it off to Hydro-Dip to get a fresh coat of Kings Desert Shadow camo from head to toe and I'll also dip the Eotech to match it.

result; King Desert Shadow by www.hydro-dip.com
197310_191129640930882_100001015433988_466863_7424896_n.jpg

#3- I finally got sick and tired of looking across these giant sage brush flats knowing that I have to drive right by them due to the fact that there is no where to hide the truck. I know there are coyotes there and no one has ever called them for the same reasons that I haven't. No where to hide the ride. This year, I'll change that. I'm buying 40 yards of camo fabric. I've contacted a local company that builds custom boat covers and contracted with them to build a custom truck cover for the Team Tacoma. The cover will completely hide all of the trucks reflections and should make it possible for me to call areas that I've never been able to before with the truck in full view of the calling area.

result; My custom truck cover in direct sunlight. Yes, theres a white Tacoma in this pic. Look closely.
lol.gif

P1050230.jpg

Now you can see it!
rolleyes.gif

P1050228.jpg

This pic was taken under a bit of cloud cover with one of my clients standing in front of the Tacoma. See him?
sneaky2.gif

P1050235.jpg

If the wind is right, coyotes walk right past the truck to the gun!!!

Things are really shapin' up. I'm looking forward to hunting with some of you next season and I'm making preparations already for you to "get your 15 minutes of fame!" Good Hunting...

Not nearly that diligent! However have acquired a semi-auto, no not an AR but a Mini 14 Ranch target that has proven so far to be less than 1 moa of coyote @ 311 lasered yds. My "ride hide" is still a work in progress. I found an old sheepman who would part with old burlap wool bags. Hand stitching is a drawn out process but I belive it will work.
Cheers

I can appreciate the fact that you folks out west have little cover to hide in.

How long do you hang around waiting for the yotes to come around?

I'm assuming that they can see you drive in and cover up that white truck?

I don't worry about the coyotes that saw me drive in. I call to the coyotes that haven't. I start calling as soon as I'm ready. Usually 5 minutes or less from when I shut the truck off. Most coyotes have responded between 7-15 minutes.

I'm sad to announce that I have not completed "my" summer projects. I've been too busy doing those things for my wife and grandparents but not for myself. I will have to push hard to make them happen. Thanks for the reminder Tom.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceI don't worry about the coyotes that saw me drive in. I call to the coyotes that haven't. I start calling as soon as I'm ready. Usually 5 minutes or less from when I shut the truck off. Most coyotes have responded between 7-15 minutes.

Hard to imagine that any coyote in the area would not notice you drive in/set up your blind in open counry like that.

But then again, some of the hunt results with pics you western folks post up are proof that it works.

You folks out there sure know how to whack em, and I enjoy reading the stories that go along with them.

Can't remember if I posted in the original but my big improvement for the fall is 2 things: First, last winter I left my only rifle with my father to develop a load for it since he had all the presses and such. Shotgun only can be quite limiting in the sage flats. So I have that back now. Second, I have a summer of calling practice now, can't hurt.

My new goal for the fall:

Start the bidding for Tom's GPS data for SE Idaho at $100.
wink.gif

My personal goal was to bike at least 10 miles every couple days this summer. Witch I have mostly. I should say bike hard, hills, trails. Did it last summer and when hunting season came around and I could go and go. The only thing that slowed me down was waiting for friends to catch up. Best part is no soreness after a hard couple days of hunting.

Originally Posted By: Shoes My new goal for the fall:

Start the bidding for Tom's GPS data for SE Idaho at $100.
wink.gif

LOL! You're way too low. I spend $100 in fuel everyday. Think big $$$!

Tom could you please PM me the details on that truck cover. Like who made it and how much something like that costs to make? That looks like a great solution to this wide open prairie country up here.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Tom could you please PM me the details on that truck cover. Like who made it and how much something like that costs to make? That looks like a great solution to this wide open prairie country up here.

That cover is a great idea. I, too, would be interested in more details such as where to get the material, etc. Wonder if surplus parachute material would work or if it is too thin?

Regards,
hm

I had the cover built at Brian's Canvas in Utah. I believe the cost was a bit below $200 with me supplying the fabric. You can reach them here. www.brianscanvas.com Since it was a custom, one-off job, you'll have to call them to get a quote.

I realize that some may think $200 plus fabric is a little steep but I thought it was a small price to pay for the success it has allowed me. There is a cheaper option. Buy a custom fitted truck cover for your vehicle from a retail manufacturer and paint it yourself with Camo Krylon. It won't cover the wheels but you could add some fabric to it if needs be.

Back