Best Long Range Caliber

matt_allen

im looking for your opions whats the best caliber for long range 500+ yards for price recoil accuracy. and what gun are you using. looking to get one but would like some input. thanks in advance

I think Vaughn uses a 17 hmr with a # 3 rem varmint contour bbl. Topped with a BSA sweet 17. Right Vaughn?

To the OP jk. More info is needed here.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI think Vaughn uses a 17 hmr with a # 3 rem varmint contour bbl. Topped with a BSA sweet 17. Right Vaughn?

To the OP jk. More info is needed here. Yup while sitting
shooting.jpg

IK IK I did shoot a 17
frown.gif

500 yd with factory ammo? I'd say stay with the .308. If you were to reload, go with a 7-08 or 260. I mean 500 yds isn't that far after you practice a bit. 1000 yds, that's my goal. I smell a build coming to the pahntr house!

IMO... when I think long range I think 400-1,000 yards. I'm with Gary on the 260, or the. 308. But I like the new school calibers an id really like to see what a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 30 TC can do.

First shot at the 1k gong at my buddies new range and bing had my first ever 1k hit on the first try. Shooting a winchester classic action with a 26" lilja #4 contour and 1oo grain Ballistic tips. We were really going prarie dog hunting and he bet me I couldnt do it. Also had a 3x9 ziess with the rapid Z 600 reticle on it. I have to be honest and say it was luck. But after i seen here it hit and where I held well it was bing,bing,bing. Three out of five aint bad with a huning bullet. cant wait to get back there with my Berger 115gr vld' Never underestimate the 2506. Its a killer,

if I was going to go for a long range gun the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum would be on the top of my list but its a long list and dont over look the RUMS rp

So 500 yards to???
What uses? varmint only? big game? All of the above?
What kind of weight you considering?

Originally Posted By: matt_allenim looking for your opions whats the best caliber for long range 500+ yards for price recoil accuracy. and what gun are you using. looking to get one but would like some input. thanks in advance

The 308 and 6.5 creedmoor both offer match ammo factory loaded if you are stuck with just factory ammo and wanting to shoot way out there. I am sure there are more that offer match ammo but these are 2 that I know of.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzFirst shot at the 1k gong at my buddies new range and bing had my first ever 1k hit on the first try. Shooting a winchester classic action with a 26" lilja #4 contour and 1oo grain Ballistic tips. We were really going prarie dog hunting and he bet me I couldnt do it. Also had a 3x9 ziess with the rapid Z 600 reticle on it. I have to be honest and say it was luck. But after i seen here it hit and where I held well it was bing,bing,bing. Three out of five aint bad with a huning bullet. cant wait to get back there with my Berger 115gr vld' Never underestimate the 2506. Its a killer,

What do you think of that reticle?? Im looking at the 6.5-20 X 50 Zeiss on a .260 and some of the reticles are just FARRRR to "busy" fo rme...but a friend that shoot LD all the time tells me that " I want" (lol) a reticle such as that..?

My son in law shoots a 300 win mag and does quite well with it to shoot steel,deer at 600+(He shoots this rifle quite a lot and feels good about his shot)I never was a big fan of the 300 but I am coming around.Seems quite versatile in the big gun category.I have a Rem 700 in 300 win mag if I can get it back from my brother,he asked the other day if I had any more ammo loaded yet.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSThe 308 and 6.5 creedmoor both offer match ammo factory loaded if you are stuck with just factory ammo and wanting to shoot way out there. I am sure there are more that offer match ammo but these are 2 that I know of.

that is a good choice for factory match ammunition that you can buy and go shoot.

If you are reloading look at a 7mm bullet (heavy 162-180) at 2900fps. It will clean the clock of the big 30 cal rifles and shoots inside the 6.5's.

The big 30's outperform the 7's at super long range, but for a hunting rifle you will probably never shoot that far at an animal to get the gain.

Back