Tally-Ho

getfoxy

Kind of an odd problem here. Does anyone use a tally-ho? Maybe it's just me but I find it very hard to get good sounds out of mine. I have a pretty good assortment of handcalls and the tally ho is the only one I have trouble getting good sounds out of.

Anyone else or is it just me and need to spend more time using it?

I have used a Tally-Ho, good call with deep rasp & very loud if need be. Maybe? 1/2 the coyotes I called, I was useing that call.

My Tally-ho doesnt sound fantastic to me But, I'm not a predator either. I have called up lots of fur with it including the biggest bobcat I have ever seen.

Foxy, try slightly bending the reed upward and away from the tone board. Giving it a slight curve up will often add the raspiness you're looking for and allows the call to work with less air pressure. Try it and let me know the results. Good Hunting.

I know a guy that loves the tally ho. He says he calls in alot of coyotes with it. I gave up on one cause I was trying his calling sequence and couldnt get the smokers cough in the middle down right.

called a lot of critters with a tally ho. Also play around with where you put you lips on the reed and call body, they are just about as versatile as a crit r call. Used to be my go to open reed till I got lazy.

Tally ho was one of my first pred calls.

Love the "ho"
grin.gif

It will bring em running!

Hope you make due note of that, Jay.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: getfoxyThanks for the replies guys. Pred S.- literally bend the reed up? I'll try it and see how it works out.

Yep, take the reed and bend it up slightly. Be careful not to put a crease in the reed though. You can even take the tip of the reed and cafefully bend it up and back toward the base of the reed. Give that reed a curve away from the soundboard.

You need to add more arch to the sound board. The Tally HO is a little flat across the tone board and can be kind of bland without enough arch. I take a file and sandpaper and give that thing as much curve as the air channel will give me and it can make a tremendous difference in how the call sounds and plays. I buy 6 at a time and go through the tuning process with each of them. Usually end up throwing 2 or 3 in the trash can but the ones that make the grade are magic. Some of them don't sound good no mater what you do to them so out they go.

Quote:I think Randy Anderson mentions Tally in one of his older DVD's.

He does. Calling Coyotes, Calling Coyotes II and the orginal Verminators. In Calling Coyotes II he goes hunting with Tal Lockwood...Mr. Tally-Ho himself!!

My favorite production calls are #1 the Rubber Rabbit(altough I just got it, I love the sound and know it will produce), #2 Zepp's Rattler, and a very close #3 The Tally-Ho.

I was trying to call badger out of a hole a month or so ago with the Tally-Ho, and called in a coyote
smile.gif
In the excitement I left the Tally-Ho on stand. Not happy
frown.gif

BTW, Tom is right about bending up the reed. Just don't over-do it.

Thanks again guys. Just got home from work. would go to wailing on it but Id have some very upset people in my house lol.. Ill try it out first thing tommrow morning

I've given the tally-ho a try several times. Compared to my other customes, it just takes too much air pressure to get good sounds in my opinion. It comes with a .014 reed which already adds to the air pressure needed, then add in the flat board. Just a hard call to blow. I know tons of guys like it, but its not one I like. Give me a TT horn tip, Tnyotehntr or carver call any day over the talley ho!

When I was using open reed calls the Tally-HO & Tweety were my two favorites as far as production calls go. The Tally has a unique underlying tone that you don't hear in many other open reeds.

Originally Posted By: Predator StrikeforceFoxy, try slightly bending the reed upward and away from the tone board. Giving it a slight curve up will often add the raspiness you're looking for and allows the call to work with less air pressure. Try it and let me know the results. Good Hunting.

Defintley an improvement, but still not as eays to use as my others....Thanks
thumbup1.gif

Back