Tikka T3 Varmint .223 Stainless or not?

cuda70

I'm looking to purchase a Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 within the next week or so. I am wondering which model to get the standard Tikka T3 Varmint in black(blued) or do I got with the T3 Varmint in stainless? They are both described as hammer forged barrels. So will the stainless varmint model have inherently more accuracy? I'm using this rifle for groundhogs and bench rest style shooting, looking for super tight groups. Also they mention a 1/8 twist and 1/12 barrel yet when looking online the 1/8 twist seems to be the only one available, does anyone have any insight?

I won't say the stainless is more accurate. But the stainless may be somewhat easier to maintain/clean. I have a T-3 Varmint stainless in 22-250 and its accuracy is as good as anyone could ask for in a factory rifle. One hole 5 shot groups are common and sub moa is normal.

I would go with the 1:8 twist becaue then you could shoot the heavier bullets. I have a t3 stainless and I prefer the look of the stainless over the blue.

I have both and they shoot the same...with the same loads most of the time. The stainless barrel cleans up much faster...about half of the patches. The next one I get will be another stainless.

As others have said, the stainless won't make it more accurate, but it may clean up easier. Plus it might last a tad longer. Most stainless barrels are softer than blue steel barrels, but they're more heat resistant so could resist barrel "burnout" longer. The only negative I can find with stainless is the light reflection. A matte blued gun should blend into the woods a little easier in a hunting situation.

The average hunter will never shoot the multiplied thousands of rounds required to "burn out" a barrel. That said the only real reason to get stainless is if you are not going to take proper care of the gun. I have seen blue steel rifles that were 20-40 years old and had no pitting nor accuracy issues.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf they're close enough to see my stainless barrel, they're close enough to feel the pain!! LOL

This definitely qualifies for post of the day.
thumbup.gif

I shoot the .223 blued lite model. Real tack driver. Never shoot on a bench.Even off shooting sticks I can regularly put down submoa with factory ammo and 4x. See no reason to get the stainless if money is tight. Better to save 100 bucks. If the money is no object then might aswell get the stainless. Paint it camo if you are worried about hunting with it. If you dont' hunt then who cares about the finish.

Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteOriginally Posted By: pyscodogIf they're close enough to see my stainless barrel, they're close enough to feel the pain!! LOL

This definitely qualifies for post of the day.
thumbup.gif

I'm far from an experienced coyote hunter, but from having lived around them most of my life, I will say that they can see a glint or movement off of a rifle barrel a lot further away than I can expect to hit them with a bullet from the same barrel.

A bunch of other game animals have the same ability. That said, the Tikkas I own are stainless and the barrels are not polished smooth, so light reflection alone should not be a problem. Still, any barrel movement at the wrong time might be a big problem long before you are ready to shoot.

Back