Drew a Mountain Goat tag!

Timberbeast7

Had a pretty good week this week. Got home from 14 days on the Wallow Fire in Arizona and found out I drew a Goat tag for the Crazy Mountains here in Montana! Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, and also any pics of goat mounts or rugs would be helpful for me in deciding what to do with it.

Congrats on the tag!

Specific advice I can't help you with, I've hunted the Kootenays and the Cabinets, but not the Crazies... and not for goats. And that was long ago.

Generally, I've hunted goats before (missed a couple bow shots), and talked to others who have, and have been sucessful...

- Get in shape if you're not. Seriously. It's misery and also dangerous if you're not ready to climb the chutes you'll need to.

- Binoculars and Spotting scope. If you don't already have, budget for the BEST you can POSSIBLY afford. It's a HUGE effort to get in range, you want to spot 'em, judge 'em, and absolutely pinpoint 'em before you even start. Spend all you can budget on them if you don't have them already.

- Lightweight, lightweight, lightweight! A late friend of mine used to tell me about how he'd pack for (Dall) sheep camp, 1/4 of a washcloth, a nearly used up bar of soap, etc. Same with goats. Minimalist, you have to carry everything up walls!

Look forward to your stories!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm in pretty good shape, luckily part of my job is to pt for an hour every day. On optics, I have a Nikon fieldscope II ED spotting scope and am buying Swaro 10x42 EL's this summer.

Again, I appreciate the info. We are heading back to New Mexico for fires so I'll check in as I can.

Originally Posted By: FENCEJUMPERWow did you post this on every forum on the net?

Why not....
smile.gif

fencejumper, are you the spineless prick i busted for poaching a few years back that afterwords threatened to kill me?

Originally Posted By: FENCEJUMPERWow did you post this on every forum on the net?

I posted on a few to see if anyone had any good info they wouldn't mind sharing. Obviously you have nothing, but thanks for looking.

Timberbeast, My son and wife both worked the wallow fire this year, She is on a buying team and my son on a hand crew. been a pretty wild year this year.

drscott

Cograts on the tag, looking forward to seeing some pics and story of your hunt.

I was stopping by for free info like you, but so far not too much help yet. Nothing wrong with posting looking for good info, tags aren't just handed out to everyone, unless your an out of state hunter applying in NM.

Get in and kill your goat early, the crazies are steep and rugged and get snowed in quick. I know alot of guys that have ate the tag because they didnt go as soon as they could. Its hard to find goats on a white mountain. Probably go to Big Timber Canyon and go up as high as you can then go farther. Be careful a very experienced climber friend of mine died up there last year about this time from a fall.

Back