fire refurbish

sparky13

A few months back my neighbors truck caught fire while driving through his pasture in front of my house. The truck was 100% destroyed. While looking at the wreckage a few days later, I noticed a pistol in a melted blob of seat and holster. I pulled on it and it came out of the mess. It was a Ruger mkII 22lr.
IMG_20110819_201845-1.jpg

I asked my neighbor if I could have it and he said yes. I took in home and cleaned it up. There were rounds in the mag the exploded and some that did't. The grips were melted off. The finish was ruined. I oiled and worked the bolt and trigger. Both worked well.
IMG_20110807_191712.jpg

I sand blasted the gun and took it do be duracoated. I got it duracoated OD. While waiting I ordered new springs, magazine and grips.
IMG_20110819_201157.jpg

I just got it put together today. It functions flawlessly and shoots great.

I DON'T RECOMMEND refurbishing all guns that have been in a fire. If it was a larger caliber I wouldn't have thought about it. This pistol is pretty beefy. I had 2 different gunsmith check it out.

Thanks, Sparky

blink.gif
You fired it without a trigger?? Is this that new fangled jedi trick of controlling the flight if your bullet with your mind that ive been hearing about on here lately?

Gun looks good as new!

Thanks for all the replies! I took that picture when I got it back from the painter. It wasn't ready for the internals. That's why there is no trigger.

I am pretty happy with it. It turned out great and only cost me $78!!

Sparky

Looks great. I used to have the same gun only with a 5" bull barrel, should have never sold it but unfortunatly we can only shoot them at the range in Canada
frown.gif

Looks really nice.You would never know it was not bought new that way.I really like the color match.Hang on to it and the longer you have it the more it will mean to you.

not to be the downer here but hopefully he didn't report that gun a loss in the fire to his insurance company or you could be in a sticky situation.

Back