ROLL CALL!!! We seem to be missing some regular posters this varmint season

wahoowad

Quite a few active varmint hunters from last year seem to be missing this year. They accounted for some great posts last year and their wit and wisdom are missed this season. What's up with you guys!?!??

What do you mean last season? It's "in" season all year long!!! I'm not much of a regular but I can and do post on occation.

Jet Man in Montana.
Sorry still no PC and our "Nook" doesn't have spell check...

Originally Posted By: getfoxyKy checking in.

Where is 6mm-06, Miss his posts.

Hope all is well Dave
+1

Dave has been doing a new job and hasn't had much time on his hands. He'll be posting on a very exciting trip/hunt coming up here in the near future.

I'm back as the weather gets cooler. I've been very busy with some political action groups. I hope this will help us all. We have a major opportunity in 2012; stay informed, get involved any way you can and VOTE.

Originally Posted By: The VirginianOriginally Posted By: getfoxyKy checking in.

Where is 6mm-06, Miss his posts.

Hope all is well Dave
+1

Dave has been doing a new job and hasn't had much time on his hands. He'll be posting on a very exciting trip/hunt coming up here in the near future.

Another one here. I'm stuck in limbo this year. Not hunting much due to weather and a crazy hay cutting scenario this year. I've killed more hogs in one day in past years than I have all year so far. I'm also waiting on my long range thumper to get done from re-barrel and working on one of those exciting hunts that you mention. I'm also getting buck fever and have trouble concentrating on anything other than predators and deer right now. I find myself messing with game cameras and treestands instead of my AR and binoculars. I think I'm going into the pre-pre-rut
w00t.gif

I have been following your posts all summer.

The reason I have not posted is the "followers" seem to thrive on photos rather than the written word, and I do not own a digital camera...even if I did, I am not a gore-hound so would not send that stuff.

Another reason: a certain poster last year did some broad tossing re their hunting techniques which were inaccurate, and contradicted by their own referenced zoology articles [my identical experience as the zoologists' contradicting him as well was not good enough to resolve the condescension [I have 40 years of groundhog hunting].

And last but not least, 300 groundhogs by July 4th [as told by another last year] is hard to believe ...not impossible but...certainly here in NW Ohio is good chuck country but I don't kill an average of 5 every night for 2 months...

THIS YEAR: I have killed more groundhogs than all posters on this thread except one, but I will NOT divulge the current number to avoid the macho competition thing...I just enjoy it without that.

I have been busy and my
"varmint" season opens soon sept 1st. Squirrel and crow opens Oct , yote, fox, coon, cat, possum, skunk opens
I have a new collection of powder burning pistols and High Powered Magnum Airrifles Including a .25 cal as soon as a barrel arrives!!

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialI have been following your posts all summer.

The reason I have not posted is the "followers" seem to thrive on photos rather than the written word, and I do not own a digital camera...even if I did, I am not a gore-hound so would not send that stuff.

Another reason: a certain poster last year did some broad tossing re their hunting techniques which were inaccurate, and contradicted by their own referenced zoology articles [my identical experience as the zoologists' contradicting him as well was not good enough to resolve the condescension [I have 40 years of groundhog hunting].

And last but not least, 300 groundhogs by July 4th [as told by another last year] is hard to believe ...not impossible but...certainly here in NW Ohio is good chuck country but I don't kill an average of 5 every night for 2 months...

THIS YEAR: I have killed more groundhogs than all posters on this thread except one, but I will NOT divulge the current number to avoid the macho competition thing...I just enjoy it without that.

BuckeyeSpecial,

I sure enjoy a good narrative and hope to read about a couple of your hunts. I remember those threads last year. If someone is full of fertilizer, I just move along. It isn't worth the effort to try and correct someone.

I hope you will reconsider.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm around been looking in from time to time. Started a new job this year with plenty of over time have logged 389hrs OT this year already. I'm not complaining there will always be next year getting ready to start school for the new job start Sep 26 - Dec 9. 9 weeks total and they want us to be able to work weekends during Oct. So bowhunting for deer will be out also.
cursing.gif
Ya'll keep on them I hope to have more targets for next year at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Where is Pruson? Haven't seen a post from him since this spring. He was one of the most prolific ground hog shooters.

Fitch

Checking in; not that I had any posts worth noting last season! Just busy doing farm stuff but would much rather be out varminting! The weather is getting cooler now.. can't wait for fall and winter!

WW- Wayne you know about, as for me; if he dont go, then most likely me neither. I did get 1 so far this year at my wife's farm w/the air rifle but that's it. Trying to get to Master class in Sporting Clays, and it's all Wayne's fault! kidding, but i am try to get to master...

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYI think I'm going into the pre-pre-rut
w00t.gif

But have you had a lip-curl??

'Rats and rockchucks are down for the year. Grass is too long for jackrabbit sniping. Won't harrass my coyotes 'til October and my buck tag this year deserves as much scouting as I can put into it. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just boring....
tongue.gif

I'm not really a regular here, buttt... With the heat, I've not got out much, but some friends and I have been pursuing some scavengers lately. Catfish that is. And no guns involved.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: tt35Originally Posted By: ARCOREYI think I'm going into the pre-pre-rut
w00t.gif

But have you had a lip-curl??

'Rats and rockchucks are down for the year. Grass is too long for jackrabbit sniping. Won't harrass my coyotes 'til October and my buck tag this year deserves as much scouting as I can put into it. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm just boring....
tongue.gif

I'm sure you've seen my ugly mug on the video or the cover. Between the hair and the natural ugly, it's hard to tell if I'm lip curling or if I just look like that
scared.gif

I haven't posted too much in this section yet, but I have gotten a lot out of reading the reloading threads on this board!

Last year I was pounding the ground-hogs, mostly with my 22 hornet. I had like 20 kills by the first of May. This year, not doing nearly as well - in part due to some away vacations but mostly because of a reorg at work that has left me short-handed. Seems to be a trend judging from some of the posts in this thread. I'm beginning to think the new definition of work/life balance is "your life has balance, if you're still working".

Anyway, I found a killer load for my 243 so I have been using it almost exclusively this year. Bought a 22-250 earlier in the Spring also, and got into handloading for it now just within the past couple of weeks. Good stuff! Adjusted my scope again this past weekend (and ding'd the darn thing up in one place). Anyway, I need to sight it back in again. I'm getting ready for the beans and then some corn coming off where I hope to get a few more nice long distance shooting opportunities in before the chucks all duck down that last time for their long winter's nap. I think at last check I was at 31 for the year. Way off the pace like I say, but I've had at least a little fun.

Shoot when you can folks & enjoy.

Back