New prototype Dtech WSSM slick-side upper.

dtech

Folks have been asking for this for some time now, so I decided to move forward with it. I have to work out the dimensions to accommodate the anodizing, but I've got the rest of the details worked out.

Here is the new billot slick-side receiver.
DSC_0327_s-1.jpg

DSC_0325_s.jpg

After I got the machining finished, I decided to make sure the ejection-port would function properly, so I grabbed a new uncoated float-tube to try it out with....
DSC_0333_s.jpg

DSC_0334_s-1.jpg

DSC_0331_s-1.jpg

I just got back from the range, and it worked perfectly. Now the next step is to get it into a batch of anodizing and see how it looks and fits.

I'm pretty pumped about the new look!

Originally Posted By: orrbull48Can't wait!!! Looks pretty nasty. Wonder how it will do w/o the forward assist?

I may offer them with F/A as well. For the most part though, the F/A on a WSSM will only lead you down a path you shouldn't be on......

Originally Posted By: GrizleyHunterIs it just me or does the scope look way forward of the charging handle.Cant say I have seen a scope on an AR mounted that forward.

That is one of my test-scopes. I have it on a rail that extends quite a bit forward of the receiver. The scope has longer than normal eye-relief, and when I use it with the Magpul PRS, it makes for a very nice bench rig.

Originally Posted By: YotecallrLooks nice but unless it had forward assist, i wouldn't buy it.

I have literally thousands of WSSM uppers out there that ALL have forward assists. Everything that I have produced before today has been equipped with the F/A. Going in this direction is an attempt to offer something that I have had repeated requests for over the years.

I'm not sure where it will end up, but there are those that want it, and soon they can have it.

It looks great Mike!

By the way, is there any chance that you will ever put out a four rail tube that will be interchangeable with your free float?

Originally Posted By: cbosshog79It looks great Mike!

By the way, is there any chance that you will ever put out a four rail tube that will be interchangeable with your free float?

I don't get a lot of call for quad-rail tubes. I have considered having the tubes drilled and tapped so rails could be added. They could be full-length in all four locations, or just one short one for a light. I just have to "standardize" hole spacing and add it to one of my next batches of float-tubes.

Originally Posted By: Dtech
orrbull48 said:
Can't wait!!! Looks pretty nasty. Wonder how it will do w/o the forward assist?

I may offer them with F/A as well. For the most part though, the F/A on a WSSM will only lead you down a path you shouldn't be on......

I figured it may have something to do with that cartridge.

I think it looks great!!

Personally I have no use for FA on any of my hunting AR's, it only makes a problem worse in my experience.

ETA: that black on raw aluminum looks friggin' cool.

Last edited:
Mike, I really like the two tone look...I've been considering getting a new upper for some F class shooting and that would be a great looking item at the range..

I have a couple of ARs without the forward assist and have never had the need to use the ones that I've had that do have them, even in some of the toughest competitions...If a round doesn't want to seat, there must be a reason and I don't want to force it..

While I understand some of the desire for their use in hunting situations, I always chamber a round before I leave the vehicle anyway, by letting the BCG drop to strip off the cartridge...For my purposes, that is why there is a safety on the lower...

I really like the slick side all of my uppers are that way now I don't see the need for the F/A.
looks good Mike I might have to get one

Hello,

I think it's great. I also like a FA, but I have a 308 without one and it is surprisingly easy to use my finger to accomplish the 'forward assist' when attempting to be quiet or when checking the chamber.

Looks like it would be perfect for a side charger.

Back