Just keep swinging...

Ursus21

Just keep swinging until you get a hit is how I approach coyote hunting. This morning was clear, cool, and crisp in the mountains where I was hunting. Barely any breeze and I figured the coyotes would be tripping over themselves racing to the call, but such was not the case. First stand...nothing. Second stand...nothing. Third stand...nothing. Now I'm starting to seriously wonder about my calling abilities. I have one more stand I want to try before the day warms up too much, but it's a long steep hike in. I finally convince myself that it will be worth it and take off down the steep slope, thinking with each step I take downhill...I have come back up when I'm done. I'm also dreading the thought of another dry stand after such a physical effort to reach this one, and then return hike to my truck. I find a great spot and decide rather than trying to sound like a prey animal, like on my first three stands, I'd try to pick a fight instead. Maybe the coyotes were feeling all tough-guy this morning instead of hungry??? I start with some passive young coyote howls...no response. I then switch to a more aggressive howl...still no response. I pause for a minute or two and then cut loose with an injured pup. Within 30 seconds here comes a coyote charging over the ridge about 700 yards away. I quiet down and he becomes more cautious, pausing often, but still coming my way. I coax him into about 150 yards and bark at him. First with my mouth, then with my AR.
wink.gif
I hit him good but he decides to take off and charges away. Before I can get my rifle back on him he goes into a spastic death wipe-out and bascially spazes out all the way to the bottom of the mountain. Rotten bugger just had to get in his last act of defiance, I suppose, by dying at the bottom. I hike down take a few photos. I'm happy to have this nice sized male after such a dry morning. I pack up all my gear and slowly work my way back to the truck. Man, it was one hot, lung busting hike out, but somehow I didn't mind in the least.
laugh.gif

TroyCoyoteAug20Best.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me that the mountain coyotes fur up faster than the one's down low. I killed this coyote at right around 6000 feet this morning. At first light I'm sure the temps were in the 30's. Felt great by the way. However by the time I finished with this guy it was pushing 80 or more.

good job troy. with all these posts of succes ima have to go bloddy up the new .243 my honey got me for my birthday.

very nice looking yote. Big and full. The elevation I hunt is 6000-7000 feet and they have better coats than the ones I see in the desert. Nice job and great story.

Great story, thanks for sharing! Reinforces the fact that it's been way too long since I been in the brush
frown.gif

Regards,
hm

big shoulders on that dude!!. temps in the 30's. i'll bet that put a little spring in your step. i can't wait for that!!

Thanks guys. He was a fairly sizey coyote. It was a great way to end the morning. I was hunting alone and needed a little time to myself out in the mountains. It was good for the soul, the coyote made it even better.
smile.gif

Back