Started the 2011/2012 calling season out great this A.M.

derbyacresbob

I wanted to go out and get my trail cameras today so I went out early so I could do some calling stands also.

It was 72 degrees when I left my house at 5:00 am, when I got to the ranch that it was cooler than it was at my house. The first two stands I didn't call anything in.

I went and picked up my trail cameras and the decided to do one last stand before I headed home. I had my new 22-250 that I had built with a Hart 1-8" twist barrel and I really wanted to see how it worked on coyotes with the Barnes 55 gr MPG bullets.

I had to walk about 500 to 600 yards from where I left my truck. On the walk to a little high spot in some pretty flat country I saw a bunch of coyote tracks in the dusty cow trail I was walking in. The tracks were fresh and they were traveling in the same direction I was going in.

I set up on the little high spot laying prone with my FOXPRO CS-24 about 50 yards in front of me. I started out with "Adult Rat" on full volume. At about two minutes I spotted two coyotes about 400 yards away heading for my CS-24 at a high rate of speed.

They ran up to about 30 yards from the CS-24 and then turned to my right to head out. It was an adult and a pup, the pup stopped so I shot it. The adult was heading out fast so I hit my #1 preset which is "Coyote Pup Screams" the adult stopped and looked back so I shot it and it dropped . Then I saw the pup I had shot was running off the other direction to my left.

I was laying there all excited that two coyotes had come in but I was not happy that one of them ran off. "Coyote Pup Screams" was still going and I saw movement about a 1/2 mile away. It was two more coyotes running my way to the "Coyote Pup Screams" sound.

It was two pups one of them stopped but the other one came right up to about 50 yards from my CS-24 so I shot that one. The other pup ran off and disappeared into a low spot about 300 yards away.

Within about 30 seconds the pup came back out of the low spot heading back towards me and the CS-24 that is still playing "Coyote Pup Screams" on full volume. The pup stopped so I switched to my #3 preset sound which is "Coyote Pup Distress 3". As soon as the pup heard Coyote Pup Distress 3". It started running towards the CS-24. The pup stopped about 100 yards from me so I hit it with my 22-250.

This was a great stand for breaking in my new rifle.
IMG_4796.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Four rounds fired and four coyotes knocked down in one stand, that qualifies as a great start for sure. Always look forward to reading your posts.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyGreat Job! Way to start the season. What action did you put your hart barrel on? What glass is that on there?

It is a Remington 700 action and I put a Leupold VXII 4 X 12 X 40
scope on it. Then I doubled the value of it by putting about $3.69 worth of Krylon paint on it.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI hit my #1 preset which is "Coyote Pup Screams" the adult stopped and looked back so I shot it

There is a lot to learn for the newish coyote caller right there in that one sentence.

Always great to see your posts and photos Bob. The photo below just makes me want to get out.
IMG_4796.jpg

This whole weekend is taken up by drainage work, but my time is coming.

Sendit

Back