Interest in a 6 WOA??

scottmilk9

I was very intrigued by the 6WOA round, so I called John Hollinger, great guy and very knowledgable.

This round is based on the 6.8spc cartridge necked to a 6mm bullet. Its only about 250fps slower than the .243, it hits real hard and would definitely have no problem killing a deer with one.

I'm a big grendel fan, but with a 6mm bullet going over 3000fps, it will be much flatter shooting and the 6.8 cartridge will have more capacity.

One other thing I really like is that most 6mm bullets were made to shoot out of a .243, especially the heavier bullets. So the accuracy is phenominal out of these.

So I'm gauging interest: if we get 10 people to buy uppers, We'll do an upper with standard free float tube, flat top and standard bolt carrier group for $699(plus shipping)(retail would be $850)

If we only get 5 people it will be $799 per.

Wait time on these will be about 8 weeks(john said he would try to expedite these for us) so it might be sooner.

Dies would have to be bought from WOA, but they are very reasonable.

Please don't call John with questions, I promised him I wouldn't inundate him with calls or emails on this.

So now your saying i need one of these. I havent even got my 6.5 yet.LOL, Sounds like a shooter Scott. Good luck with the sale on these bad boys. If you guys are thinking about an AR Scotts the man to talk to. He does awsome work and always has some Great prices on his AR's.

Scott,

I have a few questions for you about this setup.
Will barrels be available or is this deal only good for the complete upper?
I assume you would be sourcing your barrels from WOA? Any idea who they get their barrels from?
What is the ideal barrel length for this cartridge? Please say 16"-18".
What is the difference between this cartridge and the 6DTI?
What contours are available for the barrel?
I am in the market for a new barrel but I am still trying to figure out which way I want to go.

Sounds Like our Father's day specials are getting closer to being done!!! and the 6 WOA is very interesting cartage. What Mag would it use?

Originally Posted By: newmexicokidScott,

I have a few questions for you about this setup.
Will barrels be available or is this deal only good for the complete upper?
I assume you would be sourcing your barrels from WOA? Any idea who they get their barrels from?
What is the ideal barrel length for this cartridge? Please say 16"-18".
What is the difference between this cartridge and the 6DTI?
What contours are available for the barrel?
I am in the market for a new barrel but I am still trying to figure out which way I want to go.

Great questions and I should have posted them originally.

Barrels will be, prices still to be determined how many we sell.
WOA said they have wilson air gauged barrels that they will be using.
I'd have to ask Mike about the differences, I'm not too familiar with the 6DTI, as I dont want to put wrong info out there.
Contours I would suggest would be the "SPR" profile that I use on most builds, but can be negotiated as long as we have every one agree on contour.
Mags would be the 6.8spc mags.

I am trying to get this going on behalf of two or three customers who approached me to do it for them, but want to keep price down and offer it up to PM members.

I have a 6 WOA barrel from WOA. Yes, John is a good guy.
Mine is a Wilson barrel, although John does work with some
more expensive barrel stock. I purchased mine with the
intention of testing out the 6mm WOA, and possibly upgrading
to a more expensive barrel in the future. If this barrel is
any indication, that would be wasted money. The Wilson is VERY
accurate, and WOA workmanship is top notch. FWIW, mine is
a 20" HBAR profile, rifle length gas port.

As for the differences in the 6mm WOA, and the 6 DTI, I believe
the 6 DTI has a shoulder change, and may be blown out a bit,
for some more powder capacity. I can't speak for the 6 DTI,
but the 6mm WOA is very easy to form from 6.8mm SPC brass,
and is very easy to get to sub-MOA accurate loads. I REALLY
like my 6mm WOA.

Incidentally, I have no skin in the game. I am merely passing
on my experience with WOA, and the 6mm WOA. For those that
make this purchase, I HIGHLY recommend using Silver State
Armory brass for your 6mm WOA loads. SSA makes excellent
brass.

Squeeze

Sounds like a heck of a deal! I'd be interested if I hadn't just bought a .25 WSSM out of the classifieds a few weeks ago.

the 6WOA is fine called coyote cartridge.
My daughter has killed her bucks with mine the last two years also with no issues.

Recoil like a 223 and kills like a 243. Whats not to like.

Stay after them
Kelly

man sounds like a winner scott!! I'm really liking what I hear about these, they should hammer them yotes! I'm in. who else is?

from what I have read the 6DTI and 6WOA are very similar...I am getting 3200 fps with the 75 hp in my 6 DTI, I get 3350 with the same bullet in my 243...all that speed with much less powder in an ar15 platform. What's not to like.

Originally Posted By: bushyfrom what I have read the 6DTI and 6WOA are very similar...I am getting 3200 fps with the 75 hp in my 6 DTI, I get 3350 with the same bullet in my 243...all that speed with much less powder in an ar15 platform. What's not to like.

They are VERY similar. John from White Oak took the shoulder of the 6.8 SPC case, sharpened it to 30^. He pushed the shoulder/neck junction back and the shoulder/body junction forward. This left plenty of room for the long, heavy bullets that John originally designed the case for.

The shoulder-angle on the 6mm DTI is also 30^, but the shoulder/body junction is pushed forward and the neck/shoulder junction remains unchanged. The shoulder-angle does not change until the first firing, and at that point, the DTI has about 2 grains of water more capacity then the WOA.

Here are some pictures of the WOA and the DTI side by side.

DTI on left, WOA on right
IMG_0901_s.jpg

DTI top WOA bottom
IMG_0904_s1.jpg

All things being equal: same brass, same barrel-length, same bullet the DTI will have a slight velocity advantage on the mid to light bullets. The WOA being slightly shorter, definitely has the edge for the long, heavy bullets.

If John builds the barrel and Scott builds it into an upper, it will be an excellent upper. I've built both the WOA and the DTI, and they are both VERY accurate and easy to load for.

Scott, I would be interested in one as well...I'm looking for something in the AR platform that can be used for 600 yard F class shooting at the range..This sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well..

Mr. Turtle, i see a few guys using this for F-class, might not be a bad idea to use it as a dual purpose gun/upper.

Ill contact all that are interested on monday/tuesday of next week.

bringing back to the top to see if anyone else s interested in these. what twist would be best? I am thinking a 1:10 but not sure.

Back