New Howa 1500 Varmint .223, pre-range review

psdan000

Been wanting to try one of these out for a long time and finally got the nerve to order one. My first impression was it's a lot nicer looking than I expected. I really like the 20" heavy barrel and was torn between this and the Rem 700 SPS tactical, but at almost $100 cheaper I decided to give it a shot (pun intended). The hogue stock is pretty nice, nicer than the ones on the Rem 700 SPS tactical IMO, but still just a little flimsy near the for-end with a bipod attached. Unlike the SPS tactical stock, The stock on the Howa is already free floated and has some fancy emblems on it and whatnot, I like the OD green too. The rifle balances nicely, a little heavy but thats to be expected. The trigger is great for an out of the box trigger. My trigger scale shows it breaking consistently at 2.5lbs and I really like the "two-stage" effect it has, makes it a lot more predictable I think. Action is smooth and cycles shells perfectly. I have two complaints: 1) I wish the action and barrel had a matte finish instead of the shiny blue. and 2) The magazine follower is plastic. Other than that I was really impressed with this rifle. I wont have a chance to shoot it until this weekend so a range report is soon to come, hope it shoots as good as it looks.

My uncle shoots 1/2 inch groups at 200 with his 22-250 reloads. Great calling/truck rifle with that shorter barrel, it's much better than my 26in heavy barrel (I might get it cut down... maybe)

I have the exact same configuration in .308 and it is the best shooting gun I have. It regularly shoots .5 inch groups with 110gr V-Max's and .75 with 150 gr SST's, which are the only two bullets, besides GMM that I have tried. Very consistent. My next bolt gun will be a Howa in 7mm-08, or .243. My trigger has some creep, but not bad. The Howa triggers seem to be hit and miss on whether you get a great one, or a mediocre one. Mine falls in between. I look forward to your range report.

I bought a 25-06 Howa shortly after I bought my 22-250 . Both triggers are nice no creep crisp break and set between 2.5 and 3 pounds. The 06 is a tackdriver shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 with factory loaded 117 grain gamekings. I really like both my Howa rifles and would suggest them to anyone looking for a new rifle at an affordable price

I have the Howa in 7mm rem mag and I must say for the money it has to be one of the better ones out there. I have yet to use it hunting but at the range its awesome. .5" groups at 100 yds with Federal Premium ammo. I did have to have the trigger adjusted after barrel break in, was just too stiff for my liking. After setting at 3# it is a tack driver. I cant wait for deer season this year. I think you will like it. I would follow the manufacturers recommendation on barrel break in.

Pretty sure they are both the same stock that hogue makes. Got a buddy who has the howa and I got the sps tactical. Both are pillar bedded. My stock isn't flimsy like how you are saying. Not saying it's the best stock but better than some. My 700 tactical also came free floated.

Originally Posted By: markleyPretty sure they are both the same stock that hogue makes. Got a buddy who has the howa and I got the sps tactical. Both are pillar bedded. My stock isn't flimsy like how you are saying. Not saying it's the best stock but better than some. My 700 tactical also came free floated.

I have had 2 Rem 700 SPS Tacticals, both great shooters, but took some work to free float the barrel properly. Yours may be different but on mine the barrels were touching the forend of the stock. Nothing 5 minutes, a 1" wooden dowel and some sand paper couldnt fix, just didnt have to do that with the Howa. Also the hogue stock on the Howa has a nice "Howa" logo on the bottom of it, so it must be specifically made for their rifles.

Looking forward to the range report
thumbup1.gif

I have 4 HOWAs. My .223 Supreme Varminter and my .222 S&W 1500 are excellent shooters.

I just bought not too long ago both a .243 and .308 in varmint config from CDNN. Still haven't spent enough time breaking them in and developing a load but even with a little shooting, they look promising.

i bought the same gun about four weeks ago. i love it. its very accurate. mines .243. i shoot hornady superperformance in the 58gr. the drop and velocity of that round is VERY similar to a .204 and 22-250. you will love your howa. curious what did it cost you. i got mine for $369 brand spankin new. just curious

If you have the Howa with the 3 position safety, youre gunsmith can do a good trigger job. However the 2 position safety is a different critter. When you get the 2 position safety adjusted for good poundage with no creep, then the safety will not engage. Also get a reputable gunsmith to do the job. Some trigger jobs you hear or see described in print scares the XXXX out of ya.

What does you gents Howa weigh if you don't mind me asking and what configuration is it?
I am looking for a walking rifle @ about 6 lbs.

Thanks folks

P.S. I assume the barrels are in 10 twist?

Mine is closer to 9 lbs. Its a .223 varmint with the heavy barrel. It came with 2 stocks, The laminate felt very heavy, and the synthetic stock felt much lighter. However the synthetic stock did not free float as advertised. I ground out the barrel channel and got it free floated, the stock was rubbing the side of the barrel. Its nowhere as lite as my tikka, but it will shoot. Good luck. And to the OP, Looking forward to the range report.

Back