Rossi 17 HMR

redfoxtrapper

I bought a Rossi 17 HMR several years ago and I cannot get the stupid thing to shoot straight. I have tried CCI, Hornady and Federal 17 gr. rounds and have found the Federals to perform the best. I have used a BSA Sweet 17 3x9 and a Bushnell Banner 4x12 scope and I cannot get a consistent pattern. I constantly clean the barrel but nothing seems to help. I hate this thing and am ready to take a hammer to it. Has anybody else had any experience with these things?

I had one in a short 16 inch pack rifle,,,after abot 2 shots,,it would start throwing them all over....sold it,,but killed about a dozen groundhogs with it,,,,the first shot was always dead on.

X

No offense, but it's a typical rossi. At least they are consistent.

I had one in .223 when I first got started in the predator game. Exact same probs as you describe. Shots all over. No matter the bullet, scope. Sell it and go buy something else.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNo offense, but it's a typical rossi. At least they are consistent.

I had one in .223 when I first got started in the predator game. Exact same probs as you describe. Shots all over. No matter the bullet, scope. Sell it and go buy something else.

Sorry bro, but Gary is right. There is nothing in your equation that equals "accuracy" on average. Rossi's are just notoriously inaccurate rifles, there are exceptions ofcourse, just not many.

Chupa

Rossi is right up there with CVA in quality, and resides high atop the list of crap products I would'nt spend 10¢ on......

I've yet to meet 1 person who actully shoots their rossi, be happy with it. [beeep] I've never spoken with someone who was even ok with it. A good rifle shoots groups, rossi and shotguns shoot patterns.

Dump it, buy a decent rifle.

I appreciate all the info. I wish I would have talked to you all before I bought this thing. I guess I have to take my lumps and move on. I'm thinking about buying a 222. I have some reloading supplies for it and I got a lot encouraging info from some of you guys about it. I had a 222 I bought in the 80's. It was a "West Va" model with 6 inches cut off the barrel so it could be easily moved in and out of vehicle windows for night time deer hunting. I never shot it and sold it for college money. I was skeptical about whether it would shoot well but the guy I sold it to says it shoots fine. Thanks a lot.

Don't start hammering on 17hmr, it is a fine cal. for what it was intended to be used for. you are not supposed to hunt water buffalo with a bb gun.

Back