bolt is "VERY" hard to open now

backwoodshunter

ive got a mosin nagant m91 7.62x54r. today was the first time ive shot it, toook it out an fired 3 shots. all 3 shots when i tryed to open the bolt to eject the round, i had to grunt an fight with it to get it open. i thought "well maybe thats how it is when its fired". i dry fired it and its the same way now. it didnt use to be like that. use to be very easy to open. but now since i fired it i gotta fight with it to get it open. anyone else have this problem with their mosins? any ideas or can anyone point me in the right direction to get some info? thanks

That happened to me on a Coltsmen .223
ended up having a broken/bent extractor. I'm not familiar with Nagants but I would check that? Although it only was difficult to open when there was a round chambered. Didn't do it with an empty chamber. So... I guess I'm no help at all.
darn, I can't even be a internet expert.

AFTER firing, it dang near takes a 2x4 to get the bolt open on my Mosin and others I have shot. After doing a bunch of research on them I've determined it's just the nature of the beast.

I tried all the supposed cures I read about. Cleaned chamber, polished chamber, checked for chamber burrs, dis-assembled bolt and cleaned/lubed, blah, blah, blah.. In the end it's still a smack it with a 2x4 bolt.

Mine isn't very hard to open if it's not fired though. Don't know what the problem with yours might be there.

I AM an internet expert, so if I don't know, nobody does!

The type of ammo you shoot can make a difference also, some is hotter then others resulting in a swollen case and harder extraction after firing...

Ive owned 3 of these rifles. Had the same issue with one of them. It seemed to do the sticky bolt with Wolf ammo. I also had the firing pin pierce the primers on several rounds with all 3 guns. Better wear good safety glasses when shooting these guns for sure!

Originally Posted By: sully2Read this....
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/42997-Mosin-Nagant-sticking-bolt

It explains fully what the problem is...

from what i understand in the post, its talkin about when it sticks only when u fire a round thru it.

but my rifle does it with a fired round or if i dry fire it. it dosent matter [beeep] if it fired a roung or just dry fire it sticks. but it didnt do this till i fired it for the first time after i got it. ive dry fired it before this "sticky bolt" thing happed. and it was fine. but now after ive fired it it stick all the time now. and as said " i need a 2x4 to open it". is this normal? or is there somthing wrong here? thanks for all the help guys

Originally Posted By: backwoodshunterOriginally Posted By: sully2Read this....
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/42997-Mosin-Nagant-sticking-bolt

It explains fully what the problem is...

from what i understand in the post, its talkin about when it sticks only when u fire a round thru it.

but my rifle does it with a fired round or if i dry fire it. it dosent matter [beeep] if it fired a roung or just dry fire it sticks. but it didnt do this till i fired it for the first time after i got it. ive dry fired it before this "sticky bolt" thing happed. and it was fine. but now after ive fired it it stick all the time now. and as said " i need a 2x4 to open it". is this normal? or is there somthing wrong here? thanks for all the help guys

What it said was that ONCE A ROUND is fired thru it...with all that dried gunk inside it...thats when the problem starts...hot cartridge or empty cartridge. Thusly what it needs is a TOTAL and COMPLETE scrubbing to get all the old dried lube out of it.

like sully said id take some carb cleaner to the whole rifle after you take it out of the stock and scrub the poo out of it. if you are shoot ammo with the lacquer on them that could a big issue with it gumming up the chamber walls. dont leave a case in the chamber after you shoot it to let it cool down cause then the fun starts, trust me. my brother in law has a MN and its a pretty smooth shooter after we cleaned it out

Back