Should I pillar bed my new Boyds stock? What is involved?

wahoowad

I have ordered a Boyds' thumbhole stock (Ross Varmint laminated model) for my Remington Model 7 Predator. I have never seen any pillar bedding jobs up close but think I understand the basic concept. Essentially 2 aluminum pillars are somehow installed into the stock where the action screws go through the stock, correct? With the intent of having the action firmly tightened down onto the immovable pillar rather than down onto wood which could conform or give over time?

What is involved in doing this work? Are there universal pillars or do I need pillars made specifically for my stock? Are the pillars press-fitted into holes drilled into the stock?
confused.gif

go on to brownells.com and they have kits for rifles that come with the right length pillars and the counter bore bit. just drill the screw holes out, glue the pillars in and go. im doing that for my mauser also and going to bed the recoil lug and tang also. the laminate on the boyds stocks are pretty good as far as worrying about swelling goes. thats the same i just ordered only i got the varmint with the wide front end in pepper.

Back