Crossing a coyote with a domestic canine

Kilo6

Does anybody here have experience, or knowledge, of crossing a coyote on a domestic? I've heard stories, but I'm looking for something more substantive than fables, myths, wives tales or gossip. Although I'd probably settle for opinion. I met a guy recently that has a coyote/Aussie cross that he uses for.................well, he doesn't use it for anything--it's a yard dog. But before I do anything rash I figured I ask for some feedback.

I know of two people who HAD coy-dogs. Both male, both lasted about two years before they had to be dealt with. Both became unreliable when they reached breeding age.

One guy i currently work with has owned coyotes and coy-german shepards. Every single one was a human biter and he says for some reason they all turn "wild". The coyotes they had were all raised from pups and spent alot of time with people. I think it would be kind of interesting but would never own one myself.

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450I think it would be kind of interesting but would never own one myself.

I agree.

Taking it one step further, I wouldn't want a neighbor to own one either. I have one neighbor who I think might be half coyote himself. To my knowledge no one bitten yet, but it could happen any time now as I believe he has reached breeding age.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: yfzduner450I think it would be kind of interesting but would never own one myself.

I agree.

Taking it one step further, I wouldn't want a neighbor to own one either. I have one neighbor who I think might be half coyote himself. To my knowledge no one bitten yet, but it could happen any time now as I believe he has reached breeding age.
w00t.gif

Priceless!

Btech, I humbly disagree--coyotes possess a lot of desirable traits: they're smart, athletic, tough, make a livin with their nose, hunters, and killers-- all notable traits for a coyote dog.

Isn't this how we got "killer bees" ? A 100lb. coyote/X would be like a wolf on crystal meth ! So this is how it ends............

They also possess a lot of undesirable traits Kilo6 -- Topping the list thereof, they are wild animals, they kill to survive.

Originally Posted By: Kilo6Btech, I humbly disagree--coyotes possess a lot of desirable traits: they're smart, athletic, tough, make a livin with their nose, hunters, and killers-- all notable traits for a coyote dog.

No sense in arguing about it. Do a cross and in a year or so let us know how it turned out.

If (IF!) I crossed 'em, the pups would be one quarter coyote. A good friend was telling me about the original Blue Lacy dogs out of Texas...they had a good reputation as huntin or cattle dogs and had some coyote influence back in their breeding. The weak point in all this is the male dog that's half coyote is also half Australian Shepherd.....I'm sure there's good Aussies out there somewhere, but I've never seen one. I marginally know the rancher who first had the dog and his only complaint about him was every time a coyote howled somewhere in the country the coy-dog, on a chain outside the house, would light up and it was not conducive to getting a nights sleep.

There is a guy on this site I believe that had a few pup coyote's that he would train his hound pups on in his back yard. The coyote would listen just like a dog and come to whistles and so on. He said when they were about a year old they turned wild and were gone.

We have had some coydogs around my place. You do not see them often but they are some mean suckers. They do not have that fear that coyotes have of humans. I have never been attacked or anything but a few years ago my neighbor ha a run in with them when he worked nights. Two of them tried to jump him when he got out of his truck. He shot one and the other ran off. DNR confirmed that it was a coydog.

That is just one of the reasons I would not have one. That and the fact of having little kids around would not be a good idea. But I would like to see how that cross works out for you if you decide to make it.

Tim

Originally Posted By: TwistrateIsn't this how we got "killer bees" ?

Insects and mammals can't interbreed.

As far as I know bees were never bred to yotes.
lol.gif

It sounds like Craig is about ready to put his neighbor down, just waiting for that first "biting" to happen....lol

I don't think that a coyote cross would be a good idea. They are wild animals and that trait always seems to come out. As guys have mentioned that some have had them with less than desireable effects. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt. Not only that, but if you do cross them, what are you gonna do with all of those other puppies? The idea of a coydog is cool and all, but heck you could just get some mutt from the pound and tell everyone that is a coydog, that way you would have an excuse when he snaps and tears after everyone. Hes half coyote. Like Craig said, I have known some folks that seem to fit that profile.

Back