Beating myself up!

mofireman

Ready to pull the trigger on a scope for my first build, and simply can't decide. I know it's a personal decision in most cases, but I'm getting a headache reading all of the reviews out there. Getting a flat top AR in an 18" variety. Most often it will be used to carry around for coyote/varmint hunting. Most shots probably wouldn't extend beyond 200 yards or so, I'm guessing. So needless to say, I'm not in need of anything too high powered.

Here are a few that I'm considering because they seem to be in my price range...

Leatherwood CMR 1-4x
Nikon M223 1-4x BDC
Nikon M223 2-8x32 Nikoplex
Burris TAC30 1-4x
Millett DMS 1-4x

FWIW: Found the Millett WITH a PEPR mount for $280, brand new! Seems like a good deal! Nikon 1-4x is currently on sale for $260 at Midway.

I'm ready to pull the trigger and just need some final opinions on what's working for you. Thanks in advance!!

You might send a PM to Kerry Carver (Carver Calls) about the Nikon M-223 series...He was privileged to get some experience with them at a Nikon sponsored shoot last fall and got to work with both of them, at various known distances at a range near me...

The Nikons and Burris scopes have good reputations, but I don't know much about their warranty values...

While I was on leave from Afghanistan, I purchased a R-15 .223 with an 18". I also bought a M-223 (2-8), I think it will be a great setup, 2X will be low enough magnification in the woods and the 8X will be good for open fields. Back in Afghanistan so haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I will just mention this,if you get a chance look at the Hawke scopes.They are new to me but supposed to be big in Europe.I looked at one and thought it was real clear and well made for the money.The one I looked at was as clear as my Leupold's,Weavers,but not quite as clear as my Ziess.I might have been showed a good one,I don't know but if they are all like it for the money they would be a good deal.

Originally Posted By: jdvigI also bought a M-223 (2-8), I think it will be a great setup, 2X will be low enough magnification in the woods and the 8X will be good for open fields.

Exactly what I was thinking when I bought mine. I really like that setup.

Originally Posted By: jdvigWhile I was on leave from Afghanistan, I purchased a R-15 .223 with an 18". I also bought a M-223 (2-8), I think it will be a great setup, 2X will be low enough magnification in the woods and the 8X will be good for open fields. Back in Afghanistan so haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Thank You for your service for our country.

There is a scope called the Optisan Mamba AR 1-4 that comes with a PEPR cloan for $150 an its actually a great little scope. Made in japan. If you want more info I just posted a review in this forum.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks! Now I'm sort of leaning towards a bit of a higher powered scope than a 1-4. I'm looking at the Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35! Found it online for $139 and it is very lightweight (12 ozs) and fairly short too (11").

I've not ordered it yet, but I am trying to finalize my plan sometime today!

MoFire

The best deal out there IMO right now is the 3-9x40mm Bushnell Elite for 199.00. Almost the same quality as a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 but 200.00 cheaper.

I did not know they even had Bobby's in Mo.
Bobby's

Have you checked out the vortex viper 2-7x32. Its on closeout at a few places for about $160, and thats with vortex's incredible warranty they are known for!

Well, I finally got it done! I decided to go with the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 with the Versa-plex C3 reticle from SWFA. I read a ton of reviews on these scopes and it truly was hard to find many negative comments on them. Most of the reviews and comments boasted on what an exceptional scope it is for the price, how clear the glass is, how it held zero so well, how lightweight it is compared to other scopes that it's often compared to, how much they liked the 95% light transmission etc. etc.

The best news (to me) is that I paid $149 for it!! For a scope that I've seen priced as high as $350-400 (before the closeout), I feel I got a pretty darn good bargain. When it arrives, I'll provide my personal thoughts on the optic.

Thanks for everyone who offered to help.

MoFire

Originally Posted By: mofiremanWell, I finally got it done! I decided to go with the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 with the Versa-plex C3 reticle from SWFA. I read a ton of reviews on these scopes and it truly was hard to find many negative comments on them. Most of the reviews and comments boasted on what an exceptional scope it is for the price, how clear the glass is, how it held zero so well, how lightweight it is compared to other scopes that it's often compared to, how much they liked the 95% light transmission etc. etc.

The best news (to me) is that I paid $149 for it!! For a scope that I've seen priced as high as $350-400 (before the closeout), I feel I got a pretty darn good bargain. When it arrives, I'll provide my personal thoughts on the optic.

Thanks for everyone who offered to help.

MoFire

Very good choice. All the scopes mentioned are good in their own right but none have the warranty and impeccable customer service of the Vortex.

Yeah, the little brown truck paid a visit today! Since my AR is still in the building process, I won't have the scope mounted for some time. But I did pull it out of the box and looked it over pretty good.

The scopes finish seemed impeccable. Smooth, clean finish like I expected. The included see-through scope cover seemed quite nice as well. Once I removed the cover, I noticed that the glass seemed very clear as I looked at a few things in the backyard. I didn't get around to messing with the turrets or anything like that, as I'll save that review until it's mounted on my AR.

Truthfully, I couldn't believe that I still found the Vortex Viper 2-7x for $149! But SWFA had it in stock and it shipped out the day after I placed the order.

MoFire

Originally Posted By: jdvigWhile I was on leave from Afghanistan, I purchased a R-15 .223 with an 18". I also bought a M-223 (2-8), I think it will be a great setup, 2X will be low enough magnification in the woods and the 8X will be good for open fields. Back in Afghanistan so haven't had a chance to test it yet.

May God Bless you and thank you for protecting us!

Originally Posted By: mofireman
Here are a few that I'm considering because they seem to be in my price range...

Leatherwood CMR 1-4x
Nikon M223 1-4x BDC
Nikon M223 2-8x32 Nikoplex
Burris TAC30 1-4x
Millett DMS 1-4x

Based on reputation and lifetime warranty...Id have to choose either the Nikon or the Burris...and I'd probably go with the M223 Nikon. Difference between 1 or 2 X lower power doesnt mean much...BUT the difference between 4 and 8 X MIGHT be helpful at some point.

Last edited:
Back