******FREE SILENCER******REGISTER BY 8/31/11******

Originally Posted By: Silenced AmericaOriginally Posted By: Vaportrail
Silenced America,

"The winner will be responsible for paying the transfer fee and for the federal tax stamp."

To own one (Or the "Winner" in this case) you must apply on an ATF Form 4. Fingerprints and photographs (duplicates) are required. Plus a $200.00 App fee?

Is this below form the correct one that your referring to?

ATF-Form - 4 (EXAMPLE)

GREAT DEAL!

Thanks!
V

For the most part, you are right. Since 1934 there has been a $200 TAX imposed on the transferring of NFA items. Silencers have never been illegal, only regulated. There are several ways to transfer a silencer from a dealer to the end user, and the "individual" route which you mention is my least favorite. The individual route does require the transferee to get a signature of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO), Complete 2 FBI fingerprint cards, and have two passport photos taken. All transfers from dealer to end user are done on a FORM 4.

The route I recommend is transferring the silencer to an "entity." You can transfer it to a Corp, LLC, LLP, or a TRUST. I recommend that people transfer NFA items to a trust. A trust protects your purchase by naming successors and beneficiaries. It also allows you to add other trustees who are able to legally have possession of the NFA item. In the event of the Settlor or Trustee's death, nothing happens to the NFA item because the trust owns it. In the event of an individual's death, the ATF will want the item back if it has not been willed. If it has been willed, then a dealer, like me, will do a FORM 5 TAX FREE transfer to the person it was willed to. It is a bureaucratic mess, I know.

The good news is that more and more people are purchasing suppressors. Major factories like Remington, Smith&Wesson, and Ruger (to name a few) are making production firearms that are intended to be supressed. This year is the biggest year ever for the NFA Branch of the ATF as they will process well over 50,000 FORM 4s. Last year they were in the upper 30K range and that was a record.

Other than reducing the audible and visual report of your firearm, suppressors also reduce recoil and increase accuracy. Muzzle velocity is increased and shot groups are tightened. I have some extremely loud firearms and I tend to run brakes on a lot of my rifles, so I enjoy being able to shoot all day without hearing protection and a headache!
smile.gif

Thanks Scott!

Still a Great Deal!
V

Back