Called double,1 lives

rabiddog

At 3am the alarm went off,I drug my sorry butt outta bed and woke my son we had a 1.5 hr. drive to get to our calling area this day.
We had a unique area to call its timber and open fields. The open fields were flat as a pancake so I decided it would be best for us to stay inside the timber and call out towards the open field.
These are really cow pastures not just fields. we can hear and see range cows,there is water and we jumped a couple rabbits on our way to the 1st set up.
So this day I decide to start with some howling. I started with some long howls and then shortened em up a bit then silence.
Then the roar came we were literally surrounded by Coyotes. They were howling anywhere from relatively close (few hundred yards) To way out across the pasture.
So I fired up the Fox Pro with Jack Rabbit distress. kept this playing for about 10 min. then paused it and after waiting a few more mins. I howled again. again same result howls from every which way.
My heart is pounding I can't remember the last time I had so many Coyotes respond in 1 area before.
Now this time there were 2 Coyotes right out in front and I could tell they were coming in cause there howls were getting closer. I went back to the Fox Pro and played Snow Shoe Hare and a few short mins later I see a Coyote coming in behind a tree I had to move my shooting sticks for a shot so I did while it was behind the trees and then waited for it to clear.
It came straight in as soon as it saw Mojo it pulled up,Its standing 80 yards out or so. As it starts to come in again I woofed at it and it stopped and I laid him out with an 87gr. VMAX. Bullet went between the shoulder blades and man did it open up.
So on the shot I see another Coyote head across the field in front of me,I hit pup distress it pulls up and I miss a standing 250 yd shot. I miss judged the distance and didn't get another chance to redeem myself.
Here's some pics of the stand I took to help give a visual on the timber and open fields..........
hunting361.jpg

hunting360.jpg

Coyote came right in behind the tree in the open by its self in the 2nd pic.
The shot was at a down hill angle that is why bullet hit where it did.
My son was cold and he stayed in the truck for this stand which was parked only about 75 yds uphill and it was hid pretty good.
We gave him a walkie talkie in case he needed me.
So here we go with the dog pics.
hunting363.jpg

if you look at the 2nd pic you'll notice a huge hole right on between the shoulders. Too bad I couldn't get 2.
We were all jacketed up cause at 5500 ft it was 30 degrees this morning.
hunting364.jpg

So after 7 stands we headed for home and we cross this field and see a Coyote standing on the edge of a tract of timber.
We stop and I grab my rifle and move out into the grass lean on a tree and shoot. Nailed it we didnt take any pics cause it was a small Coyote and the bullet blew it up real bad to the extent that I didn't think it shouldn't be viewed.
Gonna try to go camp up there in a few weeks hopefully.

Frank

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice story Frank. That meadow looks alot like around the Burney area. Sounds like you had a good day. It sure is tough sometimes when your calling by yourself to score on the double. At least it is for me. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Good Job Frank.

Sure is some nice lookin country, for sure.

A little tip for Colby, set him up with a few of those handwarmers to put in his pocketts. I bought a box of 40 or 50 of them at costco for about $10 or so.

Take care, Lee

Hello......Hello Lee is that you?
So you are still around. I know you are busy I have been to lots of OT going around at work so I gotta get out as often as I can.
Ya I'll have to get Colby some of those warmers. He's tough just not that tough.
Be in touch

Frank

Originally Posted By: hideandseekNice story Frank. That meadow looks alot like around the Burney area. Sounds like you had a good day. It sure is tough sometimes when your calling by yourself to score on the double. At least it is for me. Good Luck!

Close we were up around Westwood South of Susanville.
We have a lot of good country here thats for sure. I call Burney about 1 every other month had lots of success up there.

Yeah Frank I'm still alive & kickin.

Been workin 70 - 80 hours a week since April, its slowing down a little bit right now, but it's gonna be a busy, busy fall.

As soon as work slows down a bit we'll get together.

Take care, Lee

Back