220 swift rifle suggestions

Jhedges

Greetings,

My buddy is looking for a new varmint rifle and I had been discussing with him about a particular caliber. He is sold on a 220 swift, and I was talking to him about possibly a 22-250, .204, , .223, or even a .243. He insists that his next purchase will be a 220 swift bolt rifle. I do not know much about the caliber, and I would like to learn more about it, and also any suggestions on bolt rifles for him to look into.

He wants something with a bull barrel, fluted or not, doesnt matter.
Stock doesnt matter to him whether its wood, laminated, or snythetic.

Are there any more rifles out there being made in the 220 swift? I have not done much research on these so forgive me of my ignorance.

Yep. VSSF and VSF, I think.

Ruger made 'em too. Not sure if they still do, but Ruger Swifts can be found.

Until someone learns how to twist one properly, they can keep all the factory offerings........

OKBRENT on here shoots one and I can give eyewitness testimony that his is coyotes worst nightmare. Accurate and flat shooting. The one drawback to it is that the cartridge is rimmed so it is a little finicky about feeding from the magazine but he has learned its twists and doesn't have much trouble. His gun is a Remington 700 with a custom barrel. Send him a pm with your questions and Im sure he will answer them.

There aren't many companies making rifles in the 220 swift anymore. I know for sure Remington still offers the 700 VSSF II in 220 & Cooper has a couple of models.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2muchgun
Ruger made 'em too. Not sure if they still do, but Ruger Swifts can be found.

The Rugers can be found out there alright.

I have this 77V Flatbolt. Very Early.

Swift.jpg

SwiftGroup.jpg

I have both models of remington's in the swift. Only thing I did was upgrade the stock on the VSF. They are both getting a trigger upgrade shortly.

VSF and target
IMGP5607.jpg

VSFtarget.jpg

VSSF and target

VSSF.jpg

IMGP6265.jpg

I have had three Swifts and they are my favorite varmint round. An early M77 Ruger, and factory Rem 700 and a custom barrelled Rem 700 and they have all been wonderful guns. All had 1-14 twist which is ideal for all the bullet weights that I use and that being 40 to 55 grain.

I don't shoot it as a much as I used to and I certainly don't load it as hot as I used to, but every time that I do shoot it it instantly reminds me whey I love them so much. If I had to sell all of my varmint rifles and could only keep one, then you can bet your a$$ it would be a .220 Swift.

I looked at the VSSF II last year in .220 Swift. Stupidly I opted for the .22-250 in an SPS.

Hate to say it but I'm not a fan of the .22-250 if there is a chance of getting a Swift. The .220 shoots the same weight bullet as the 250 but 100 to 200 fps faster. In my opinion the .220 is also more accurate than any 250 I've owned.

The Swift is a very old cartridge brought out a long time ago. It is capable of some amazing speed. It appears to be dying a little bit in popularity but I doubt it will fade away.

Look at a Savage set up. He can build one to his specs as easy as turning on a light switch. Barrels are drop in and run about $200-$280, actions run $300 +/-, drop it in a stock and he will have a sub moa shooter for about $800.

I looked at a custom Savage last year when I wanted a Swift. I believe the price was closer to $900 though, for a custom blued rifle.

The VSSF II was about $1050 and I can't remember what the VSSF was but I passed on it because of the SPS stock.

Every option I looked at for a Swift was not cheap.

Eventually I ended up buying a 700 VS SPS Stainless in .22-250 for $480, changing the trigger for $115 and stock for $220. I wish I could have found a Swift instead.

Back