250 hp? Same as 250 savage?

sigpros

I have a box of mixed ammo from my wifes late grandpa. I shot the 5 rounds that are head stamped "250 sav". the other 15 are stamped "250 hp" Are they the same? They look the same. Just thought I would ask. Thanks for any help

I have an old Cartridges of the World and looked the ol' .250-3000 up. No reference to anything called "250 HP" whatsoever. Maybe the .250 Savage was sometimes referred to as a ".250 High Power," like the old Savage .22 High Power was called.

confused.gif
I have 2 or 3 cases that are marked 250 HP, by REM-UMC, and have never found out anything about them.

I have a .250 Savage, and all my cases, except these few, are stamped 250 SAV. I wonder when they were made? No one seems to know, but it's kind of neat to have an oddity or two that may be valuable.

I think I would keep them unfired, if I had them.

That is how Rem-UMC marked them "back in the day". They were the only ones that marked them as such. That is how I knew they were Rem-UMC without ever having to ask. They have been marking them 250 SAV for a long time now............

It meant "high power".

The official name when it was introduced, as I understand it, was "250-3000 Savage High Power".

Some case heads were stamped "250 Sav" and some "250-3000". But ONLY Rem-UMC marked them "250 HP". Something they have not done in a long time.......

Originally Posted By: Savagenut
confused.gif
I have 2 or 3 cases that are marked 250 HP, by REM-UMC, and have never found out anything about them.

I have a .250 Savage, and all my cases, except these few, are stamped 250 SAV. I wonder when they were made? No one seems to know, but it's kind of neat to have an oddity or two that may be valuable.

I think I would keep them unfired, if I had them.

They were stamped "HP" up until Remington-UMC became Remington-Peters, I believe. I'm thinking the old red and green box ammo would have been their last go around.......

Originally Posted By: RiverRiderAhhh...so I was right. I should never have doubted myself.
rolleye0018.gif

Yep. You had the right idea........

Years ago I found a fired case out in the high desert of Wyoming that was marked .250 HP. That is the only one that I have ever seen. I still have it somewhere in my junk/oddity drawer. TTT

Back