Last trip I think...

sharkathmi

Greetings All
I went up to the ranch to shoot some more pd's today.
They are getting purdy scarce now and the ones left go down and stay down for a long time.
This may have been the last time I go up there this year, at least for pd's.
Anyway, it was still a very good day, seen lots of nice stuff.
Here are the highlights:
For part of the day I was using my Savage just for the fun of it. I gotta say I really like the suppressor.
I love shooting without muffs on.
thumbup.gif

100_4231-Copy.jpg

This is actually my coyote rifle I was just checking zero on.

And it was still right on.
100_4232-Copy.jpg

A large hay baler came by and started making bales, so I moved to a new area.
While on the way I came across 2 of these...
100_4240-Copy.jpg

Wood chuck, Groundhog, Marmot....I don't know.
They are off limits so they lived to see many more days ahead.

As I'm approaching the next spot I'm kind driving east and looking into the sun.
For a second I thought I was the sun illuminating through some ears, but wasn't sure of what I was seeing.
Just then this young coyote stands up not 25 yards from the truck, looks at me and starts to walk off, seemingly not alarmed.
It's about 60 yards away in the picture.
100_4236-Copy.jpg

I may have to go back this fall and try to call him in!
wink.gif

Once I got to the next area, I was glassing and would take a shot every now and then.
Just like last time, right in the middle of the show here walks this badger right through the shooting area!
Sorry for the poor quality picture. That badger is the blob in the middle of the pic, up in the dirt area.
100_4238A-Copy.jpg

On to a new area.
So I get set up with the RRA PPR and start to glass and range.
Again, targets are between 320 and 375 yards.
This time I have a drop chart that shows me how many clicks to adjust for at any given range.
I range a pd, adjust and fire.
First round hits at roughly 340 yards!
100_4241.jpg

I range another, adjust and fire.....a miss, but not by much.
Adjust again, fire and a hit!
100_4243.jpg

I don't even want to talk about the next pd or rounds fired!

Here are a couple more that I got before I headed home,
100_4233-Copy.jpg

This one was a big fat one, very big for this place.

This one you can see where my first round hit him in the right elbow and the second one hit him square.
100_4245.jpg

I was amazed at how close the drop chart was.
I may not have hit each pd dead center with the first round but I was still hitting them as evidenced by this blood trail on the left side of the hole.
100_4244.jpg

If Jesse Lakey would have been here with his big 50BMG, stuff like this wouldn't happen!
laugh.gif

This wasn't all of the pd's shot today, just the more photogenic ones, of the ones I could find in the brush.

So between the Canada Geese, some big hawks, the marmots, the coyote, some pheasants and all the pd shooting it was a pretty good day!

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading!
Mark

Nominated for August Hunt Of The Month

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a fun day Mark. Some good shooting there buddy. Glad to read you had the will power to hold off on shooting the dumb pup.
thumbup1.gif
. Not sure I could/would have.
scared.gif
About another 90 days and I'll bet it won't get the same kind of pass from ya.

Thanks for the pics and story.

doggin, it all went down so fast.
I seen the coyote stand up and start walking away and at the same time I'm grabbing for my camera. As soon as I stopped the truck to take the pic, he walks a bit faster. You can see where he is when I got the pic, in one or two more seconds he was in that tall grass and went up and over that drainage ditch. I could have never had a shot even if I wanted to.
Besides, I rather set up on them and have them come to me.
Much more exciting!!

Originally Posted By: sharkathmi
Besides, I rather set up on them and have them come to me.
Much more exciting!!

Agreed! But even though it got in the tall grass rather fast, I'm betting you could of went on down the road, walked back a ways, set up and called it out for a shot pretty easy. If you had a mind to.

I still say good job on having the will power NOT TO. lol

They aint scarce, they just dive under when they see a human or vehicle...Id bet there are thousands....just under your feet...........time for smoke bombs or propane!

Originally Posted By: 5spdThey aint scarce, they just dive under when they see a human or vehicle...Id bet there are thousands....just under your feet...........time for smoke bombs or propane!

I don't know 5spd...
I'm going by the lack of active mounds I'm seeing, the amount of grass that is now on the ground where before there was little.
I know there are more pd's there than I'm seeing, no doubt.
But sadly for me, I really think the numbers are lower than what I'd like to see.
Maybe time to start banging on more doors I guess.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Well im not jesse lackey nor do i have a .50 cal but ill come shoot them little critters with you anyday. be like whack a mole with a gun. looks like a heck of a good time.

just saw this one, $4 a shot is allitle steap for pd's, but you wouldnt even have to hit the little fellers, just buz one within about a foot of them, and the percussion would kill em! haha.

I have been thinking about it, and i think that for pd season next year im gonna try to come up with a .30 cal mini gun. I bet i will get more invites than any man in history to shoot pd's!

Great write -up and shooting, Sharkathmi! Gotta get back that direction for some pd's again. Your posts are giving me the itch!

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiOriginally Posted By: 5spdThey aint scarce, they just dive under when they see a human or vehicle...Id bet there are thousands....just under your feet...........time for smoke bombs or propane!

I don't know 5spd...
I'm going by the lack of active mounds I'm seeing, the amount of grass that is now on the ground where before there was little.
I know there are more pd's there than I'm seeing, no doubt.
But sadly for me, I really think the numbers are lower than what I'd like to see.
Maybe time to start banging on more doors I guess.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

That or you can always make the drive over the hills. But you will have to wear hearing protection cause I'd be shootin too !!
smile.gif

If I go to a place that most of the holes are either grown over or have cobwebs covering them I figure its been either shot up, poisoned, plagued out or just don't have pds anymore.

Back