Yellow Jackets

jim8377

Got stung six times yesterday while weed eating. Don't remember them hurting like these did. The most painful was on the nipple. She was heading for Big Ed and the Twins when I mashed the life out of her.

Ouch! Nothing like getting stung. Last year a buddy and I were out looking for snakes to catch. He turned over a log and got stung something like 18-19 times. They only got me once thankfully.

I got stung years ago and a buddy unwrapped a cigarette, wet the tobacco and packed it around the bite. Pain stopped almost immediately. I've heard of other poultices work as well.

Baking soda and water paste works good on bugger stings.

I dont mind bees, but wasps are a different story.

Vicious critters they are.

had to deal with a nest of them for the landlord last week ... ran before they could sting . once one stings you are in for it since they send out a pheromone for the others . glad to hear you ok . now go and take the nest out !!

Got my experience when I was about ten years old. I was wearing bib overalls and sneaking on a squirrel cutting hickory nuts in a tall hickory tree. I was focused on putting the "Injun up" on that squirrel and stepped into a little gully that had about 16" of dead leaves, dirt, and forest floor "duff" collected there. The Yellow Jackets had built a ground nest in those leaves and when I stepped into it they swarmed straight up the big legs of those bib overalls to my skinny little rear end. The yellow jackets stopped there on the cheeks of my rear and vented their displeasure with me. I had to drop trouser and scrape them off my butt with the back edge of my knife to get them off because they were clinging to me stinger deeply into my butt. Remember that being about two dozen stings... Dang that hurt!

Got into them a couple years ago while moving a downed
tree with the tractor. Seems the tractor upset them a bit.
Learned you can't outrun them.

Went back that night to kill them off after someone told me
they won't swarm and sting you at night. They lied.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresGot into them a couple years ago while moving a downed
tree with the tractor. Seems the tractor upset them a bit.
Learned you can't outrun them.

Went back that night to kill them off after someone told me
they won't swarm and sting you at night. They lied.

Nothing funny about yellow jackets for sure, but that's a funny post, RJM. I've had two encounters with yellow jackets - neither fun.

My worst included a ground nest and a push mower. I ran half a block and out of cuss words before I stopped. Half a gallon of gas and one struck match later, all was well with the world again.

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor

Nothing funny about yellow jackets for sure, but that's a funny post, RJM. I've had two encounters with yellow jackets - neither fun.

My worst included a ground nest and a push mower. I ran half a block and out of cuss words before I stopped. Half a gallon of gas and one struck match later, all was well with the world again.

You ran out of cuss words in only half a block ?
It's ok to repeat them while running.

I hit some with my mower once years ago.
Left the blade running figuring that would get them.
Nope, they just came out from under the mower like it wasn't
even running. I headed for the house.

Inlaws had a ground nest at their place. On a real hot sunny
summer day I put a clear gallon jar upside down on the hole.
That slowed them down and I think the heat got some of them.
I left the jar for my brother inlaw to remove.

GC---Same thing happened to my little brother when he was about 4. They swarmed into the open side of his overalls and nailed him several times before Mom figured out why he was dancing around. YJ must wake up p!ssed in the morning and look for a fight. About as aggressive an animal as I've seen.

yep got into them whil mowing before not fun... i agree a gallon of gas and a match
smile.gif
i love that sound when it gosh up in smoke in that yellow jackets nest .. i hate them things

That gas and match thing is fine unless... You happen to be pouring the gas over and into an old cistern that you aren't aware of. And... the wind is blowing some and you can't get a match lit for a minute or two. All the while the gas is building fumes in the old cistern. When you finally get the match lit and tossed into the tiny little hole (not knowing a large opening underneath has been building fumes) it gets really exciting for some time immediately afterward.

This happened to my dad when I was a kid. He had some rental properties we owned and I had the chore of mowing the lawns. I found a nest of snakes in one of the yards he had just bought as I was clearing out the back fence line. Of course I went screaming to dad who was working on the back deck of the house. Pop went for a look and about seventy two (so it seemed) snake heads were peering intently at us from a hole in the ground. Easy fix... After the concussion, mushroom smoke cloud, ground trembles, and pieces of snake quit falling from the sky - it was kinda funny... almost.
smile.gif

Now that would been entertaining to watch from a distance.
Exploding snake parts flying thru the air. I know snakes
can fly, I've seen them myself.

Originally Posted By: GCI learned some expressive new language that day!
smile.gif

It's amazing what words you can string together giving them
entire new meaning.

Back