internet firearm experts

LWILLIAMS

It seems to me that we are getting more and more internet experts that repeat things they hear at the local gunshop as facts. A lot of this misinformation does nothing more than confuse the newer guys to the sport. Just because your moms boyfriends sisters uncle says something about x rifle does not make it a fact. I encourage everyone to go out and look through a lot of scopes sit behind different rifles and talk to actual knowledgeable people before they start arguing "facts" they know little to nothing about.

I am not an expert by no means but I have been behind a lot if sticks and glass from the bottom end up to the top as well as having a gunsmith friend who knows a thing or two about guns that I can ask if I don't know instead of making things up.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyCertain thread in particular that you have in mind?

Guess I'll have to agree with Foxy, whats your point? I kinda go with believe half of what I see and non of what I hear.

Given the time I could go through probably %75 of threads and pick out where someone is stating something as a fact and they couldn't be farther from the truth. When people do this we are not helping the new shooters as they do not know what is correct and they read these threads to learn. I knew I was gonna catch some flak for this post, but I feel we should be doing our best to educate the new shooters not just fill them full of misinformation.

I'm not giving ya flak. I agree there's alot of bs out there. That's why I only try to help on things I have experience with. If someone is asking bout custom bbls, blueprinting an action, 0 freebore I won't touch the thread.

I just thought there was maybe one post in particular you had in mind.

I have dealt with everything you mention, and on occasion I will post in a thread but a lot of the time I just have to shake my head at what people are saying as fact when in reality they are way off base. I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here and I enjoy reading there posts but I guess you are always gonna have someone who in reality knows nothing but on the net is an expert.

One of my favorite members on here that is a virtual encyclopedia of knowledge about reloading went away for awhile and would not post on the forum for this reason. He just got tired of all of the self appointed experts that did not know what they are talking about. Thank goodness he came back.

For me personally I just realize that knuckleheads are a fact of life and I am not going to lose them anytime soon. There are some members of the forum that I hang on their every word because it is obvious they KNOW what they are talking about. Other members (one in particular) I don't waste my time reading their posts.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSIt seems to me that we are getting more and more internet experts that repeat things they hear at the local gunshop as facts. A lot of this misinformation does nothing more than confuse the newer guys to the sport. Just because your moms boyfriends sisters uncle says something about x rifle does not make it a fact. I encourage everyone to go out and look through a lot of scopes sit behind different rifles and talk to actual knowledgeable people before they start arguing "facts" they know little to nothing about.

I am not an expert by no means but I have been behind a lot if sticks and glass from the bottom end up to the top as well as having a gunsmith friend who knows a thing or two about guns that I can ask if I don't know instead of making things up.

Mr. Williams, there are few that have a lot of experience due to money involved, family, no time off from work, folks like talking about what they love. Internet trends are subject to what is politically correct as new people want to participate, I don't fault them for that.

When you read misinformation, in a nice way, correct the misinformation. By doing so, you may teach many, just don't participate in personal attacks...which I don't think you would do anyway.

If you want to see some real loose cannons, go over to http://asrealasitgets.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
you will quickly to appreciate the folks on this board, even the inexperienced.

I do not much care for the personal attacks, that is why I try not to correct others to often. Even when wrong some people persist and attack the people who are correct. Wish there were more actual shooters and less internet experts

What did one "internet firearms expert" say to the other "internet firearms expert"?? Answer below.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSIt seems to me that we are getting more and more internet experts that repeat things they hear at the local gunshop as facts. A lot of this misinformation does nothing more than confuse the newer guys to the sport. Just because your moms boyfriends sisters uncle says something about x rifle does not make it a fact. I encourage everyone to go out and look through a lot of scopes sit behind different rifles and talk to actual knowledgeable people before they start arguing "facts" they know little to nothing about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706There were self appointed experts with limited facts long before there was an "internet". Just sayin..........
I totally agree on this one, but there audience was not as broad back then. It just makes me shake my head when people who have nothing to say open there mouths and post just to up there post count as in wahoos case.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMS It just makes me shake my head when people who have nothing to say open there mouths and post just to up there post count as in wahoos case.

Woohoo! You're shooting sub-MOA with that keyboard today! You already posted 5 times in this thread! +1
thumbup.gif

Quote:There were self appointed experts with limited facts long before there was an "internet"..Agreed, but the nice thing about the internet is that while you can get a variety of opinions and experiences (good and bad), it does give you the ability to weed through a lot of them and try to determine what actually fits your needs...

Before the internet, you might have to rely on a half-baked piece of information, only to find out that it wasn't the best and it took a lot of your financial resources to correct the error..Consider the tales that come from some "experts" that work in some of the chain stores, or frequent the counters as customers and the clerk is afraid to correct them for fear of 'offending a customer'...

I would much rather be able to get three different pieces of advice on a subject and do my own research in areas that I might be totally ignorant starting out, than miss a point that I might not even consider in the first place..

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSI totally agree on this one, but there audience was not as broad back then. It just makes me shake my head when people who have nothing to say open there mouths and post just to up there post count as in wahoos case.

With all due respect, Mr. Williams, I'm not sure that Wahoowads post suffers in value any more than your entire thread. You start a thread on a large forum about a problem about which you have no control and cannot change yet wished to comment on to a large forum and then turn around and complain when people don't respond to your posted topic as you would wish.

Now look what happened - I probably just did it, too.
laugh.gif

My point being that anyone that spends 5 minutes on here recognizes that this is a forum with as many different viewpoints, opinions, and staggeringly different levels of experience on all topics as there are members. However, if only the "true experts" on any one subject contributed to these forums, it wouldn't be much of a forum.

I get your point, but enjoy the forum for what it is and realize that folks enjoy being here and like to try to contribute even if you don't find some of their posts of any value......like mine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSI do not much care for the personal attacks, that is why I try not to correct others to often.

LW, that's part of the problem bro! I won't speak for every one, but me personally if I had something wrong about custom hand calls and you knew I was wrong, I would want you to correct me (nicely ofcourse). I know that after a period of time you get tired of repeating yourself on certain topics, but there are only to avenues one can take, 1) accept things the way they are or 2) Do something about it.

And I'm not implying that hand calls are your one area of "expertise" either, no doubt you have many. I give very little advice here.....GOOD GOD! Don't listen to anything that comes out of my mouth, 90% of every thing I say is to get a chuckle. I'll admit that when I first came to this site I thought I knew alot, boy was I wrong, and the guys here let me know politely that I was wrong and had evidence to support their case. If I think I can help I will, but still defer to a select few here for my own tutelage.

Bottom line is that this place was created so we could help each other out! Be a part of it, don't bite your tongue. If you "know" something to be incorrect...point it out, be cool about it, but point it out.

Ok, now that that has been said, I can't be serious any longer, so I'll finish with this.

Chupa

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: Before the internet, you might have to rely on a half-baked piece of information, only to find out that it wasn't the best and it took a lot of your financial resources to correct the error..

Soooo, here we are with this wonderful thing Al Gore created
whistle.gif
and nothing has really changed.

Back