dog in heat

Only if Gunner is around...I hear that you have to watch out for them guys in Oklahoma, they wear them "mount me hats" over there.

Too much of a distraction for all of the male dogs, you will fight them all day and they will only chase that tail and no trails.

Originally Posted By: Devin69I meant New Mexico.lol You take them in those states and they will get bred for sure.

That is way too funny Devin, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

I remember watching Bob Barker on Price is Right, when I was a kid. I always thought he might of been neutered himself.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Ole Gunner definitely has a love for the ladies. The only thing bigger than his libido, is the request list for his puppies posted on my refrigerator.
wink.gif

Tony

Ole Gunner definitely has a love for the ladies. The only thing bigger than his libido, is the request list for his puppies posted on my refrigerator.

tony you keep having as many big litters a yr as you have and that list is going to get smaller

Ryan and I don't agree on much but I back him 100% on this one. And I will go one further....As MANY Litters as you have.

Originally Posted By: Devin69As MANY Litters as you have.

I think you nailed it on this one Devin!!!!
I believe the count is somewhere around 30-36 puppies on the ground since June.

30-36 Puppies? Wow, I am glad I don't have that feed bill....but I wish I got to hunt my dogs as much as Tony does too. Them dogs see more action than most do. It is hard to argue with results.

Wow. Didn't know people kept count for me. I'm flattered.
smile.gif
smile.gif
I actually have 15 pups on the ground since June. A litter of 4, a litter of 3, and currently a litter of 8. The heat is unfortunately thinning the litters naturally.

The puppy feed bill is nothing compared to having the 10 dogs here being trained for clients, not counting my 6 personal dogs. Went through $600 in feed in 2 months. Now, Parvo vaccine is a different topic. Just had $200 worth shipped in today.

By far, the biggest expense is my time. This time of year, I spend 5 days a week, training dogs. I don't use the pack of hounds school of thought on training. I spend time with each dog individually and pair them up with a finished dog in the field, to they are at a certain point. From there, I hunt them on their own to build the confidence, as they are expected to be the only dog on stand when they get back home. That takes alot of time.

Sorry your 'dog in heat' thread got derailed coyote1758. I was the target of the derailment, so I had to reply to it. Now...to your question: If you aren't going to be running into any males dogs, take your female out hunting. If there's a chance she'll run into a male somewhere along the line, put her up for the couple of weeks that she is breedable.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeWow. Didn't know people kept count for me. I'm flattered.
smile.gif
smile.gif
I actually have 15 pups on the ground since June. A litter of 4, a litter of 3, and currently a litter of 8. The heat is unfortunately thinning the litters naturally.
Tony

By put on the ground I mean "born" since June. The sad part is that you've lost more pups this year then most people put on the ground.

sorry about the misunderstanding tony, i was thinking you had acouple of litters with 8 or 9 and didnt you just have one with 15? with my limited brain power that is still over 30, and i wasnt so much keeping track but i remembered the last time we talked on the phone it was about those litters and them being big and then dixie having her problems just added to it, and you just posted the litter about 15 and thats big in anybodys book, and 30 names off the list is going to make it smaller. and if heat is whats getting you now then get a mister and cool air on them, you can rig one up alot cheaper then loosing afew of those pups, raising pups in the summer is tough for sure but there are ways to keep them cool enough.

I wasn't talking about you, at all, Ryan. I was talking about a young man trying his dangest to get under my skin. He'll learn over time that it just doesn't work. I live a drama free lifestyle, keep my nose down and focus on business, don't get into anyone else's business, and don't let anything or anyone get to me.

I thought of the mister idea, but with the hot days and cool nights, I didn't want to jeopardize the litter. I've taken the ends off of my dog houses (no rain to worry about anyways) and pointed all of them towards the consistent south wind. It's seem to help a ton on keeping a breeze on them. I figured I'd lose 1/2 the latest litter, as there was a bunch of them that were spindly and very weak. All the small, weak ones died off in the first day or two and what's left is 8 big healthy puppies. She can handle that amount.

Thanks man.

Tony

Back