Mid Morning on the Creek

DoubleCK

During our normal summer ranch duties, Tucker bayed a coon in hole up under the creek bank this morning. Tyke (the wife's 13lb Fox Terrier, Poodle cross) went right to Tucker's bawling and was all after it too. The weather was conducive to getting a little wet. I was dressed just right for it so in I went. I could tell from the snarling and snapping that both dogs and the coon getting after it FTF. No mistaking that sound. I got my hands on Tyke and pulled him down, out into the creek. About that time the coon made a run at Tucker and she backed out some so I was able to get a hold of her. With both dogs behind me I ran a good long stick up into the hole. I could feel the coon not to far up, kind of squishy. I stuck my head up into the cavern and could see the rascal. So I slid the .22 mag up the hole, squalled at him and sent a 30gr. V-Max up the tube. Out rolled the good sized Masked Bandit.

I pulled the rascal on out, the dogs wooled him around some in the creek. Tyke was was standing on his hind legs and shaking for all he was worth. Funny when you pick up the bandit and the dog attached to it comes plumb off the ground.

Good news is Tucker did not show any aggression toward Tyke over the dead bandit. I guess my previous efforts to discourage such behavior made an impression.

Fun interruption to another summer day on the ranch.

Good fun!
Poke treed hard on a den yesterday afternoon. Such a sweet sound to hear bellowing through the woods.
Doesn't hearing Tucker open up just warm your heart?
smile.gif
Cause you know if they're bawlin', then somethin' is caught!!!

Craig,
Been stuck downtown so Spud and Purdy and I haven't been out much, But I found this picture from our last hunt: enjoy!

032.jpg

Could be a magazine cover!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Airedale56Craig,
Been stuck downtown so Spud and Purdy and I haven't been out much, But I found this picture from our last hunt: enjoy!

032.jpg

Could be a magazine cover!

Hey Craig, did you know you had a coyote following you in that picture?
lol.gif

I'm going to have to send Duke up with you to get some action. Work has me traveling every other week for the next couple months. I'm just hoping I can get him out Sunday to burn off some steam when I get back to town.

Back