Tikka gets a Double!

Orneryolfart357

Have not been calling much due to weather and work, Yesterday they informed me that I have to go set K-Rail tonite with the excavator." I hate nights" Anyway I decided that since it was cooler Id try a little callin. I Wandered out from the house at about 6:00 am, and started calling at 6:18. I was using My newest hand call, Arky Yoters Closed reed voiced in what he calls " Cotton Candy". About 9 mins into calling, I see a Coyote trotting in, followed by a second Coyote. Due to the stand, had I kept calling they would have gone directly into the scent cone, so I sent the 40 gr Vmax on its way to the First Coyote that was about 150 yds away. I heard a resounding thump and The Coyote screamed and started to spin a couple times. Hoping it was a good enough hit to plant it, I immediately looked for the second Coyote. The Female actually crossed My scent running to my left. It stopped at about 120 yds to take a last look at its mate, and as I got it in my scope it started to trot off! I led it a little, and sent another Vmax in her direction. I heard a thump, and it took off at Mach 4! I Never saw it emerge from the area I was shooting, and after a 45 min search I found her laying about 35 yds from where the bullet struck her. It was a poor shot that hit her low .Needless to say, It was indeed a fun Morning! A Double with the .223 to start the Day! Heres a couple Pics. Good Hunting all!

002-10.jpg

001-8.jpg

What kills me about the night shift is hearing the coyotes howling around the prison all night. Taunting. Sounds like a good hunt. We likey pics !

Way to go Grant! Don't you love it when a plan comes together lol. Nice to see the tikka putting them down.

About this cotton candy call, think I'm gonna have to add one to the arsenal.

Congrats on the double! Something I'm still trying to achieve. To much cover where I'm at for the second to escape. I hope someday the second one will take a looksee just long enough to get that shot off! I couldn't think of a better way to start your day!
thumbup.gif

That's super. Its good to help remind the AR crowd that their not the only ones that can shoot a double on stand.

On a side note, the reactions of the coyotes you described demonstrate exactly why I like a cartridge with a little more "meat on it's bones" for predators.

Way to go Grant! Great shooting! Congratulations on the double.

At this rate you should end up with at least 300 coyotes by Christmas!
thumbup.gif

Grant, if you weren't such an Orneryolfart, I'd say "Great story, great pictures, and kudos to you". Oh heck, I'll say it anyway, at least Kudos to you, and thanks for sharing.

My next rifle is going to be a Tikka. I love the way they feel and everything I hear about their accuracy is outstanding. Congrats on a great hunt with a great rifle.

BTW: I need to go to the eye doc and get fitted for some reading glasses. When I first read the title to your thread I thought it said "Tikka gets a doobie". I thought it was a thread about smoking marijuana and predator hunting (probably not a good combination).
cool.gif

Grant, if you weren't such an Orneryolfart, I'd say "Great story, great pictures, and kudos to you". Oh heck, I'll say it anyway, at least Kudos to you, and thanks for sharing.
LOL Thanks Al! I appreciate you cutting me some slack! BTW Robin told me to tell you thanks again for the SP101 ya sold me!

Cal, Im sure that you will enjoy one if you get it. As far as the "Doobie" I dont go there.. running Heavy Equipment, Contractors and Insurance companies kinda frown on that! Good luck with the Tikka when you find one, and Good Hunting Guys!

Back