anybody re-barrel a mauser?

teeroy

i know a guy selling a 8mm mauser, barrel is pitted pretty bad. what all is involved in changing it to a modern caliber? any idea of the price?

If the pitting is only on the outside of the barrel, It can be removed very readily and the entire barrel and receiver along with all the other metal parts can be re-blued for less than $50 plus shipping. You did not mention which Mauser your dealing with. This can have a profound impact on the feasibility of making such modifications. Is it a sporter 98 type or a military configuration of some type?

The 8mm Mauser is still quite a good hunting cartridge for most big game animals. The 30-06 has it's roots going back 100 years yet it remains a "modern cartridge" from a functional standpoint. The 8mm Mauser is certainly on-par with the 30-06 in nearly all respects. Commercial loadings are still very available and reloaders are well supported as well.

Re-barreling to a different caliber can vary greatly with the the choices you make on caliber. I would assume your not considering a cartridge that would require altering the bolt face. The range of prices would ultimately depend on how far you want to take the extent of the work and who does it. I would hesitate to estimate the total cost without more details of what your goals are.

Here is an example of what a 8mm Mauser can do if done right.

MauserSporter3.jpg
98MauserSporter.jpg
MauserSporter2.jpg
Mauser98003.jpg
Mauser98005.jpg
Mauser98009.jpg

I rebarreled a bunch of Mausers, years ago. So did my good bud and his dad. We had 25-06, 270, 257 Bob, 30-06, 7x57, maybe more.

Cost depends on barrel quality. Smith charged us about $150 labor on each, IIRC. It can be done for less. Others charge more.....

I would be glad to rebarrel a sporterized bubba rifle, however if it is an original, all matching K98 I would snatch it up and not mess with it. K98's in original condition (assuming they are not Russian capture rifles) are fetching quite a premium these days. The supply of good K98's dried up a long time ago and most of what you can find out there are Russian and Slavic capture pieces which can range from very good to hammers in their condition. Don't screw up a good one. There are many donor actions and rifles out there if you just want a mauser action. If anything I would see if you can get hold of a Czech Vz24 or similar if you want a donor rifle, they are generally in much better condition than a K98 or G98 anyway.

i don't know alot about mausers, or older guns in general. its a turkish mauser, if that helps. i was thinking of going with a 25-06. not sure how that would work for a project...or how much work it would entail. midway has barrels for $90

I had a VZ 24 rebarreled to a 257 Robt. Turned out very nice. Sold it a few years back. Still cost about $500 to have it rebarreled. Then a new stock and new trigger. You can make it as nice as you want!!

teeroy, don't do it!

new stock, barrel, trigger, bend the bolt...on and on and on and on.

If you love mausers, then go to gun broker and do a search on custom mausers and Parker Hale's...good prices and save you lots of dollars.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanteeroy, don't do it!

new stock, barrel, trigger, bend the bolt...on and on and on and on.

Here is roughly what you need to do / have done...

Prices for mine were almost 17 years ago...

1) Possibly new shroud to remove the "over the top" safety. ($40)
2) Remove old barrel ($0 Sweat and Tears as mine was how do you say a beyatch!)
3) Purchase new barrel (could be either large ring or small ring) verify before getting new barrel ($85 Shilen short chambered)
4) Have barrel finish chambered or full chambered depending on the barrel you get. ($100)
5) Have barrel installed on action ($0 Included in chambering)
6) Again, depending on barrel you get, you might have to have the barrel crowned. ($25)
7) Add new trigger with safety (I used a timney) ($45)
8) drilling and tapping for scope ($40)
9) new stock. ($75 Fajen, mine was rough fit and not a drop in so more Sweat and Tears)
10) new stock bedding ($15)
11) blueing ($65)
12) if action has any imperfections, hour and hours of polishing prior to blueing. ($0 Sweat and Tears)
11) new bolt and bending ($55)

Total was $545 approximately that long ago. Luckily I got my Swedish Mauser 98 Action for $19. Was it worth it? hmmmmm hard
call on that one. Mine is now a 25-06 and it will shoot lights out, but again was it worth it... don't know if I would do it
again with some of the quality rifles you can pick off the shelf for about the same if not less.

here is a pic of old betsy!

rifle.jpg

Quote:new stock, barrel, trigger, bend the bolt...on and on and on and on...When you get through, with a sizable investment you might wind up with something like this .308..

004.jpg

The gunsmithing on this one in 2006, for 'blue printing' the action, re-bluing, bedding the action, fitting the trigger and safety, pillar bedding the action and free floating the barrel ran a hair over $600...

That doesn't include the cost of the action, barrel or stock..(Styer-Mauser/Parker Hale M2 Sniper/Boyd's)

Downside: For that kind of money, you can buy a fairly nice factory rifle.
Upside: You may wind up with an excellent shooter that almost no one else has one like it...

ok, thanks for talking me down off the legde. i already have a .204 and a .243, so another rifle is not something i truely need. i would like to get a 25-06 some day, maybe for a mulie hunt. i will just buy one when/if that day ever comes. i wish i had money, it would be neat to have a beauty like some of those posted

Find the website that is all Mausers. Mauser Cenrtal or something like that. It will make ya want one. Personally, I don't go there.

Back