Shipping Guns by UPS

GrizleyHunter

I just called UPS to see if I could ship my clothing and guns via UPS for a upcomming hunt.
They told me I had to ship to a licensed dealer and not my outfitter.
Does this sound correct to you guys.
I did not want the hassel or extra fees the airlines charge or the chance it would get lost in flight.

You can ship to yourself, c/o the outfitter.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Griz,
don't even try to ship from a UPS store of drop-off location. Go straight to a UPS hub.
If they give you a hassle and say it's their "policy", go to the Post Office and mail it. I mailed a rifle to myself in New Mexico last year.

Originally Posted By: fw707Griz,
don't even try to ship from a UPS store of drop-off location. Go straight to a UPS hub.
If they give you a hassle and say it's their "policy", go to the Post Office and mail it. I mailed a rifle to myself in New Mexico last year.

+1, another member and I went through this same thing last week

I pickup guns all of the time, I have delivered many guns to non FFL people. Bottom line is that they guys have just taken the gun down, and shipped it all together in a oversized box. TO ME, I don't care. WHen I order stuff I want it delivered with no BS excuses, I am a hunter so I understand about the hassles of shipping and receiving guns.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaI pickup guns all of the time, I have delivered many guns to non FFL people. Bottom line is that they guys have just taken the gun down, and shipped it all together in a oversized box. TO ME, I don't care. WHen I order stuff I want it delivered with no BS excuses, I am a hunter so I understand about the hassles of shipping and receiving guns.

Yep, and my UPS guy delivered 2 guns directly to me last week. But, they were my guns that I sent to a gunsmith, and they were delivered directly back to me.
They did not change ownership.

Bottom line is...shipping is one thing, and transferring ownership is another totally different thing.

Last edited:
UPS wouldn't ship a gun for me even though I was shipping it to myself at a different address for my hunt in Arizona last year I had to do it through fed ex.

I shipped an H&K to H&K in Alabama for repairs via UPS, overnight. They shipped it back FEDEX.

Go figure...

I've never had to ship a rifle to myself in another state however, that being said, if there is no transfer of ownership and the recipient is the sender, then who cares?

Hope it works out.

Originally Posted By: fw707UPS has their share of gun hating employees.

Yup, there are idiots everywhere and they probably voted for Oboma too.

Back