Need a bore guide

getfoxy

I've been putting it off, but I need a bore guide. Are they all the same? I'm looking at one made by gunslick right now. I would prefer to have a universal.

Clue me in guys

Take your pick here Gary.
Find the one for your rifle so you get the proper fit.
They have 0-ring seal to prevent solvents from getting in the chamber.

I have a few from Sinclair and like them very much. Just get one with a solvent port. Keeps things a lot less "messy".
thumbup1.gif

www.sinclairintl.com

Last edited:
Why is it necessary to get individual bore guides? Whats wrong with the universal bore guides? Will the universal guides protect your fire arm from damage?

Quote:Why is it necessary to get individual bore guides? Whats wrong with the universal bore guides? Will the universal guides protect your fire arm from damage?..While it's not really 'necessary', it really depends on your various rifles/chambers...

I have three different bolt actions, each with a different size chamber and action...Finding a universal that will fit my CZ .204 (Mini-Mauser) action will let it slop around in my .308 action and chamber...and the whole idea of a guide is to protect the barrel from damage by contact with the rod/jag by keeping it aligned during use..

I have a Mike Lucas one for my Rem 700 and it doesn't fit really well in the .308 and it is way too big to come close to fitting in the action of the CZ...

If you have actions and chambers that are pretty close each other, the universal may work well...It just won't in my case..

For what it is worth Me thinks any brand of bore guide that is gun and Cal. Specific far out shine the universal bore guides as they keep the cleaning rod in line with the bore so there is less chance of damage to the rifling and keeps the solvents out of the action.

I have 5 Possum Holler ones and they work fine as far as I can tell.

The two universal ones I have are not for spit, and they are top of the line.

DAB

What's the difference between a Lucas? A possum hollow, etc. Idk I'm just asking but it seems to me if it keeps the rod centered what more can you ask for?

Gary,
Just remember the old saying " ya get what ya pay for" I've used both and I still have the Lucas for all my bolt gun's and JP's for the AR's. But I like my rifle's
smile.gif

I'm with wishbone. Sinclair make a top notch guide and they are caliber specific. They all come now with a built in solvent port. They will seal off the chamber 100%. I'm sure you will like them. Brent

What you need on a rod guide:

A bushing to center the rod in the bore so it will not rub in the throat

Seal the chamber off from solvents running down in the action and bedding

Large enough to fit the brush, but not too large so that rod flex and rub the bore.

Neil Jones makes the best:

Phone: 814-763-2769 in Pa

Lucas is a copy of Neil Jones

There are a lot of junk bore guides out there

Dang. You guys make it hard for a feller to get ahead lol. I'm a firm believer in buy once cry once... To a point. As long as I'm not going hungry over it lol!!!

Originally Posted By: OKBrentI'm with wishbone. Sinclair make a top notch guide and they are caliber specific. They all come now with a built in solvent port. They will seal off the chamber 100%. I'm sure you will like them. Brent

Ditto. All Sinclairs come with a port now. I've been using them for years. Not familiar with all the others mentioned here, but I do remember reading some customer reviews on the Possom Hollow units that said the front end piece has a tendency to snap off in your chamber.

Sinclairs are not in the class of a Neil Jones...I have Sinclair's also.

You need a bushing that fits on the rod, the bushing goes into the back of the rod guide so that the rod is centered in the bore guide...otherwise, the rod is wearing the lands from 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock.

Back