Skinning knife, what make and style you use?

These are a couple that "RainShadow" (PM member) made for me...Top one is what he classes as a 'Utility' knife and the bottom one is a 'Three Fingered Skinner"...both are sharp as razors..

RainShadowKnives.jpg

I like the Muskrat style knife.The narrow blade is nice for splitting a tail.Case makes a good quality Muskrat.However,Frost cutlery makes one that,while not near the quality,is very affordable.I shouldn't say not near the quality.It is a pretty good knife.What gets me is that you can buy six of them for the price of one Case.I've field dressed a deer and then skinned it without sharpening the knife.So they are at least that good.Also ,I gotta mention a knife made by a company called Cold Steel.The Roach Belly that I bought at a gun show is razor sharp,and very comfortable in my hand.I just haven't skinned anything with it.

I mainly use one that's the same as the "classic original 1" shown here:
[link]http://www.swedishknives.com/morakniv.htm[link]
I can't remember mine costing $44, though. I picked it up at a Woodcraft store years ago. I just checked and it doesn't look like they carry them anymore. That knife gets just razor sharp and comes back to an edge very easy. I use that and a tiny clip point penknife folder.

Originally Posted By: HidenseekproI mainly use one that's the same as the "classic original 1" shown here:
[link]http://www.swedishknives.com/morakniv.htm[link]
I can't remember mine costing $44, though. I picked it up at a Woodcraft store years ago. I just checked and it doesn't look like they carry them anymore. That knife gets just razor sharp and comes back to an edge very easy. I use that and a tiny clip point penknife folder.

This exactly^

Moras are thin enough for presise work and that carbon steel gets shaving sharp and stays that way. Not to mention that scandi grind is easy to sharpen. All for a whopping $13

Heres a before and after mod:
IMAG0030.jpg

After:
Patina, stained handle and paracord neck lanyard
IMAG0043.jpg

Originally Posted By: CatkillerNothing beats a scalpel with #22 blades!

YES YES YES & YES. I don't know why anyone would use anything else after using this set up.

Originally Posted By: CatkillerNothing beats a scalpel with #22 blades!
Yep, I bought two holders and have both #10 & #22 blades on hand.
I think they work great.

Sharkathmi, that's exactly what I use.#10 blades on the small handle for ducks, pheasants and small mammals and #22 blades on the big handle for larger critters.Pretty much what all us taxidermists use.

Well, I did it, bought a bark river: fox river, with red linen micarta handle. It's a large knife but I have large hands. I can't wait to use it! Hope it cools enough to start calling in early October.

Back